Vino 4/3/10





Stopped by Vino last night before they started the new Spring menu - I never had a chance to try the Carpaccio from the Winter menu and whenever someone serves thin slices of raw meat, I'm there. I also never tried the Frisee Salad which included a poached egg... again, runny egg... I'm there. It was a pleasant surprise that we ran into Keith & Iris, friends from the past whom I haven't seen for quite a while so we shared a table with them.

We started with a bottle of 1997 Paolo Scavino Barolo. Text book barolo with old leather, tar and stone that jumps out of the glass followed by dried sour cherry. After 30 minutes in the decanter, it started to open up. We also did several "tastes" from the wine menu then dove into the food.


From the Hiroshi side, we ordered the Foir Gras sushi. I'm glad that the Hawaii Legislature finally came their senses and realized that Hawaii has more pressing issues than banning foie gras... like the economy and furlough Fridays!


And Carpaccio is always a good thing...


The Frisee Salad was tossed in a light vinaigrette and a poached egg was "breached" to serve like the oil in the salad dressing...


Scamorza Cheese - like Haloumi cheese, Scamorza is pan fried because it doesn't ooze like usual cheeses and Vino serves it on toasted bread...


The special Lobster and Crab on Angel Hair...


Meyer Angus Beef with Broccolini. This was the perfect partner to the barolo.


It's been almost 2 months since our last visit to Vino... I was almost getting withdrawal symptoms... hopefully this visit with hold me for another month before the Vino delirium tremens set in again...

Comments

This comment has been removed by the author.
Nice choice of words: "delirium tremens". Haven't heard that one used in a while. I'll have to use that one when explaining my next set of food withdrawals. lol

Haven't been to Vino before. Everything looks oishii! I'm not a duck (meat), liver or Foir Gras fan per se, but I'm still very intrigued in trying that Foir Gras Sushi.