Brasserie du Vin revisited



We decided to meet Keith for lunch this Saturday (Keith was gracious enough to procure several bottles of 2005 Carneros Della Notte Pinot Noir for me). The last time I was here was last Valentine's Day right before Kenny Rankin's last concert in Hawaii so its been a while. We started with the assorted cheese platter - four different cheeses, salami, whole grain mustard, cornichons, pickled veggies, walnuts, dried cranberries and a small salad. While bread (freshly baked and still warm) and cheese is always a good thing, I really enjoyed the pickled veggies which included cucumber, red onions, carrots and sliced fennel. Along with the whole grain mustard, the pickles helped cut the richness of the various cheeses.

We also had the Pomme Frites - they do their fries very well. Nice and crisp on the outside, flaky on the inside and served with both ketchup (for the Mrs) and mayonaisse (for moi).


I had the Croque Madame which is a ham and Dijon sandwich topped with a fried egg (easy over). If there are runny yolks to be had, I'm there! (I'm still a total egg slut) It was served with a green salad and more pomme frites. I paired this with a 2007 MacMurray Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. A bit darker than the usual Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir but with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and nice acid to cut through the cheese and egg yolk.


The Mrs sampled their Grilled Flat Iron Steak Sandwich which was the BOMB! The meat was so tender, it seemed like it was stuffed with cold cuts but no, this was real meat! I'll probably order this the next time we're back. I ordered as glass of Tenuta di Arceno Merlot blend for the Mrs' sandwich (her sandwich but I drank the wine... and ate part of her sandwich).


In the words of Ah-node the Governator, "we'll be back".

Comments