Survival Vittles


No, the photo above isn't survival vittles. Survival vittles look a little less appetizing. I was about to place an order with the REI stores for their annual sale this past weekend. Since my hurricane emergency pack had a bunch of freeze dried food and REI had the freeze dried stuff on sale, I decided to check on the expiration dates of the stuff I had... ALL outdated. Two bags outdated earlier this year, 3 bags outdated... 2 years ago. Since it's all packed in thick mylar bags, freeze dried and contain an oxygen absorption packet, I figured what the heck! Might as well try it instead of throwing it out. I remembered from my Food Science class at UH many moons ago that freeze drying removes all the moisture which means no antimicrobial growth, even mold. The mylar package prevented light or oxygen penetration and perchance some oxygen remained in the bag, there was an oxygen absorption packet in the bag. Simply add 2 cups of boiling water, mix and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce


Tasted a little of Chef Boyardee spaghetti without the canned taste and the pasta had a little more texture than the canned variety. Mom actually kept the leftovers.

Beef Stew


Though it didn't really look appetizing, it wasn't half bad (I guess that means it wasn't half good either). Spread over some tortilla chips and sprinkle with shredded cheese and you have funky nachos.

Santa Fe Chicken

This should have been the tastiest of the bunch since it "only" outdated 3 months ago. It was the WORST! A little too tart with no discernable chicken and the black beans and corn had no taste. It was the only bag without the "2002 Tasters Award Gold Medal" seal of approval.

Chicken with Rice


The best texture (almost like a good pilaf) of the four and good flavor almost like Zatarain's or other boxed mixes but the downside was the salt load. Like boxed flavored rice mixes, it had quite a lot of sodium - 1140mg per serving. I guess this would help you to retain precious water in the event of a natural disaster.

Of course, I did try it with some vino and no, I don't have bottles of wine in my emergency rations... but maybe I should!

Comments