The Oceanaire in Orlando


Saturday's dinner was at another mini-chain; The Oceanaire. I was looking for faire on the lighter side and seafood fit the bill. Since Saturday was a full day of Symposia, I started my meal with a glass of Lunette Prosecco; crisp & clean with just a touch of sweetness. It also paired nicely with what followed.


I started with oysters on the half shell (these weren't from the Gulf Coast so they weren't pre-flavored). The Pickering Pass from WA were on special so I had a half dozen of these along with another half dozen picked by the shucker. The Pickering Pass were mildy briny and meaty with a touch of creaminess. I also had Rocky Bay from PEI which were very briny, meaty and fully flavored of the ocean. The Pemaquids from MN were mildy briny, meaty and had a mild ocean flavor while the East Bay Blonds from RI were medium briny and creamy with a medium ocean flavor.



My server also brought bread - one of the better sourdoughs I've tried with a crisp exterior and fluffy sour interior - and a "relish" tray which were assorted fresh veggies, olives and pickled peppers on ice. A nice contrast to creamy oysters!


I also ordered a Wairau River Sauvignon Blanc from Kiwi-land with characteristic crsip citrus, kiwi and grassy flavors and an Oyster Bay Chardonnay which had fresher flavors and very little oak.

My entree was the Mixed Seafood Grill which consisted of two grilled shrimp, two baked crabmeat stuffed shrimp, a grilled scallop (it was sliced lengthwise to make it appear as two pieces) and grilled snapper served with grilled asparagus and dirty rice. The baked stuffed shrimp and the scallop (one) were my faves.




The food at The Oceanaire is good albeit a bit pricey since it is in the heart of the tourist strip (a long block from the Orange County Convention Center).Would I recommend it or return? If Hog Island Oyster Co were in the same neighborhood, that would be my first choice (mainly due to the food qaulity and price). But if you want good seafood, The Oceanaire is a good option.

Comments