For Maui Auntie & Uncle

About a month ago, my fishing mentor on Maui passed away. Uncle Ogi taught me the simple lessons of tying of fishing line, where to cast your bait in the surf, what speed to reel the line, in fact he even provided me with his own fishing lead which he would produce after retrieving pound upon pound of store bought lead generations of fisherman left on the ocean floor. He would salvage these leads sinkers during diving trips then melt and recast them. I enjoyed these annual summer fishing trips.
However for the past couple of years, Uncle’s memory wasn’t there. In fact, Auntie “K” passed on just last year and I’m not sure how her memory was faring. But such is life as it is a never-ending cycle and though friends and family physically leave us, we still remember them.

I remember trying to enjoy lunch in the confines of Uncle’s car while a wicked rain storm pelted the car with rain and sand on the Maalaea mud flats. I say “trying” because while the teriyaki butterfish (which I’ve never been able to duplicate) from the old Noda Market in Kahului was delicious beyond words, the several flies who also found refuge in the car perpetually pestered me to get a bite from my lunch. And Maui flies do bite (and draw blood) so Uncle Ogi set a tray of butterfish bones on the dashboard as a sacrificial offering… which didn’t dissuade them from continuing their relentless attack on us.

I remember the molasses-like fragrance that emanated from the Puunene sugar mill. Though it bordered on decomposing vegetation at times, that fragrance meant Maui to me. And Maui vacation specifically. So though it may not have been the most enticing fragrance to the passing visitor or local, it was still “memorable Maui” to me which meant spending a week or two with Auntie “K” and Uncle Ogi.

I remember noshing on the Ooka Supermarket bento and I use the term loosely as their “bento” simply started as an affordable meal for employees. It was packaged on those 5” by 5” Styrofoam trays that 1 pound of ground beef is usually wrapped and it consisted of a baseball sized musubi, a large piece of teriyaki or fried chicken, ½ Maui hot dog, a small teriyaki hamburger patty and several slices of kamaboko and takuan. And the cost was just $1.79. What first started as an employee benefit, eventually spread by word of mouth (gossip travels faster than the speed of light in Wailuku) so that the “bento” were offered to the public on a limited basis. However all good things must come to an end and the Ooka family eventually stopped the bento as I imagine that their labor costs alone exceeded the selling price, never mind adding in the product costs.

I remember Auntie’s lomi salmon after a long day of fishing, carousing or bamboo picking. I often told Mom that Auntie’s lomi salmon was the BEST and Mom often questioned Auntie “K” about her “secret”. Auntie honestly couldn’t recall any “secret” – she often attributed its popularity to a dish that simply was cold when a cold dish was relished. Or maybe a salty dish when a salty dish was needed. I still can’t figure its secret myself. Maybe it was that Auntie had the perfect hand in blanching the salt salmon to remove the perfect amount of salt. Maybe it was the best Kula Maui onions at peak sweetness. Perhaps it was Uncle’s home grown egg tomatoes picked at peak. Or a combination of everything. The perfect alignment of the lomi salmon planets.

I remember eating at Tasty Crust for the first time which occurred many, many years after my first trip to Maui as a toddler mainly because it looked like a greasy spoon… and it still is so Mom forbade us from dining there. Of course, once I started visiting Maui as an adult, I had to try the “forbidden” café. And you know what? It was good. Even the Mrs. enjoyed dining there on return trips. Local style fried rice, good Loco Moco and steak for around $10.

I remember “enjoying” cake doughnuts from Nashiwa Bakery for breakfast… I say “enjoying” because on one occasion, someone mistook the salt for the sugar. When Auntie “K” asked me how the doughnuts were, I said they were okay but tasted a little strange. After everyone tried them, it was agreed that the sugar coating also contained a fair amount of salt. But because I loved cake doughnuts, I continued to ask for them on subsequent trips. And I would still trade that taste for a lifetime supply of hot Krispy Kremes.

I remember thinking that Archie’s was a Chinese restaurant. Mainly because everyone pronounced it as “Ah-chee’s” instead of “Ar-chees”. Therefore I thought the restaurant was Ah Chee’s. Mom loved their saimin though Uncle Ogi confided in me that Auntie “K” scolded him whenever he ordered the pork tofu because “you can eat that at home”. His reasoning was that as long as the dish was good, why bypass it just because you can eat it at home. Therefore he would act like he intended on ordering some other item on the menu but once the server took the order… “pork tofu”.

I remember picking opae or small shrimp at Nasca to be used for bait while whipping for papio with Uncle Ogi . He would slowly “trawl” his opae net in the shallow calm waters of the harbor scooping as much seaweed as possible then unload the catch on the sand. Various juvenile crustaceans resided in this safe haven including opae. We’d quickly harvest the larger “bait” sized opae then return the whole mass of seaweed back to the shallow waters for future propagation. I was always amazed at the multitude of marine biology life in just a pile full of seaweed – crustaceans, invertebrates, and fish. Uncle then carefully placed the opae on clean newspaper lining a custom made wire rack in the cooler and though the shrimp weren’t in water, the cool environment kept them alive for hours on end. At the end of our “whipping” sojourn, Uncle or Auntie would quickly pan fry the leftover “bait” with salt and pepper for our evening pre-dinner snack. With a frosty beverage from the downstairs refrigerator of course.

I remember Auntie “K” always packing several boxes of Sam Sato’s manju in our take-home omiiyage box. Along with several pounds of ripe mangoes from Uncle’s tree. And several jabon from his tree. And if we were really lucky, Auntie’s pickled mango during bumper crop seasons that had several li-hing-mui or Chinese dried pickled plums. Auntie always made the BEST li-hing-mui pickled mango. And as additional filler, Auntie might pack some Akahi brand Portuguese sausage or authentic Maui hotdogs (with the natural casing that “snapped” when you bit into them) or the sweetest Kula Maui onions (the sweetest and mildest are the wide, flat variety).

I remember debating whether to bring back Shishido mochi as omiiyage or simply sticking with the Sam Sato or Homemade Bakery manju. Mainly because Mr. Shishido TOLD you when to pick up your order. He would ask you when your flight was then tell you when to pick up the order. You NEVER told him when you wanted to pick up the order. But the mochi was delicious so you had to live by the mochi “rules”.

I remember barely making it to my flight home at almost every summer trip, mainly because on that last day, Uncle Ogi and I would enjoy a beer… actually two since the beer was stored in the outside refrigerator which was several flights of stairs below the kitchen and due to the long trek to retrieve them, Uncle always brought a pair of beer for each guest. And this pair of icy beverages were always accompanied by Auntie’s ono pupus or appetizers. Sometimes fried fish, sometimes sautéed Maui hotdogs and Maui onions, sometimes fried tako. In fact when I close my eyes, I can still smell the oil which collected on the newspaper that Auntie lined her stovetop with to catch the splatters of oil. Or still taste Uncle’s homemade chili pepper water sprinkled liberally on just about anything.

During their last several years, Auntie “K” may or may have not remembered my many visits to Wailuku or Uncle Ogi probably didn’t recall any of our fishing exploits but that is immaterial. They both created a lifetime of Maui memories for me. I remember. And I’ll always remember my Maui Auntie and Uncle.

Comments

susan ogawa said…
Enjoyed reading your article. The descriptions of your experiences with my parents jogged my recollections of many simple, enjoyable times. Today I appreciate the harvest from the land and enjoying the simple things life has to offer. We must honor those things. Thanks for a great article.
About DLish! said…
the article took me back to my summers in wailuku frequenting the same haunts as you.. but with my granpda. we never got bento from ooka but closer to my grandpa's house at takamiya mrkt. im sure you know of it.

i remember archies very well. im surprised you never mentioned tasaka guri guri. i still have my 3 scoop when i visit.. 2 pineapple and 1 straaahhhbarry. no azuki anymore... actually for a very long time.

i live in nyc now and i yearn for those simple days of my youth. somehow it seemed so right and so pure. but maybe i am romanticizing it a bit much.

thanks for the article and the trip down mem-maui lane!