The Flight Home



Since the airlines seem to charge (overcharge) for everything these days, I decided to purchase a couple of sandwiches for the flight home at the food stand (it's not like the airport food stands are any cheaper). I was surprised to find Spam musubi of all things! I guess since that specific stand is in close proximity to the Hawaiian Air gates, they assume a lot of Hawaii locals are returning home. The wrapper showed that it was made by the Uwajimaya Market in Seattle - it was a little pricey at $2.49 and a little smaller than the Spam musubi found inthe islands but it was made properly with real Spam - not Treat, Prem or other luncheon meats - crisped properly on the outside and even had a touch of teriyaki sauce. And it actually was good!



I also ordered a 1/2 bottle of 2008 La Crema Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir - $16 - which was a surprise since a full bottle usually retails for $22 or so and La Crema makes my favorite $20 Pinot. I would have expected the airlines to sell a 1/2 bottle for $25. It was a nice pairing with the Spam musubi (pigs & Pinot). I also had a chicken wrap from the food stand (which also paired nicely).


When the flight attendants started the meal service, it was a pleasant surprise that the free meal was a spinach frittata and though I was sated with my pre-purchased items, I had to try the frittata. And you know what? It was the best airline meal I ever had. Lots of spinach, great garlic flavor and eggs that weren't tough, dry or flavorless.



The attendant even asked if I wanted another bottle of wine - I guess they didn't really realize that I had a 1/2 bottle - he probably though it was a large single serving - so I valiantly declined another Pinot. Otherwise I would have had a full bottle of wine on the flight back. Guess I'll try to book Hawaiian Air whenever possible from now...

Comments