Braised Lamb Shanks






After sampling Chef Keith's lamb shanks from Vino's new Spring Menu a couple of weeks ago, I had the ono's to repeat that experience... only this time, at home created by moi. This is what the Chef's offering looks like:


The Mrs purchased some meaty shanks from Safeway - they come prebagged, two to a bag but you have to carefully select the meatier bags. Non stick spray in my slow cooker/pressure cooker pot then pile those meaty buggers in...


Add one bottle of red wine (I used Bolla Valpolicella), 1 can of diced tomatoes, about 8 whole peeled garlic cloves, 3 bay leaves, salt and black pepper and a humungazoid spring of fresh rosemary and a coupla dashes of dried thyme (would have used several branches of fresh if we had it).


Then pressure cook for 30 minutes, slow cook for another 2 hours then finish the last 30 minutes under pressure again (my Fagor cooker has low and high pressure settings as well as slow cook and rice settings). Voila! Red wine and rosemary braised lamb shanks. Paired with 2007 Arnot Roberts Griffin's Lair Syrah and a carrot and bean medley (I cooked down the braising liquid with diced carrots and a couple of cans of drained cannelini beans).


A close up of the shank, Gochiso Gourmet version:

As Campbell's said, Mmm, mmm, good!

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm curious, how do you like this Fagor cooker? I looked it up online, seems to be very versatile. Have you ever used it as a slow cooker or rice cooker?

Thanks - Lisa
gochisogourmet said…
Love it due to the versatility. I have used the slow cooker for beans (kuromame) and shortribs and oxtail. The only misleading part about it is the capacity - listed as 6 quart but actually only 4 quart (you need 1/3 empty space for the pressure build up).
Unknown said…
Thanks for the response. I think I am going to get this because of the versatility. I need a new slow cooker and have been thinking getting a pressure cooker. This will work out great. Thanks again.