Dinner(s) at Searsucker


Even before I left for the ADA Conference, I knew that I wanted to try this place. You know how it is! You peruse the sample menu online and see several selections that have you salivating more than Pavlov's mutts. Only to find that upon arrival, the "sample" menu was just that. And that none of those web culinary creations are even remotely represented on the current menu. Or worse yet, the establishment has since closed. And mind you, I had no idea who co-owner Brian Malarkey was (apparently he was one of the finalists on the Top Chef show) or that he even was associated with the restaurant. But just seeing Roasted Bone Marrow or Duck Fat Fries or Eggs & Bacon on the appetizer menu alone made Searsucker a MUST TRY destination.

So after the Friday symposia I immediately headed across the train and tram tracks to Searsucker which already had quite a crowd and was seated at the kitchen counter (like a bar seat but facing the open kitchen). Then the dilemma - whenever dining alone - not because of limited menu selections... quite the opposite. I wanted to try about 7 or 8 different dishes and I have but one stomach for this noble quest... and no in-room refrigerator back at the Ramada. So my first choice was... a glass of vino. Actually a glass of Giacosa Fratelli Nebbiolo d'Alba. Earthy and fruity at the same time with abundant acid to cleanse the palate.


The server also brought out complementary Cheese Puffs


Okay, let's start with the Duck Fat Fries with Tomato Jam ($7). You wouldn't know it was fried in duck fat unless you really were paying attention but these were KILLER! And the tomato jam added another dimension!


And the Marrow Bone with Sea Salt and Onion Jam ($12) served with toasty charred baguette slices... A moment of silence please... like beef flavored buttah...


And I couldn't pass up the Egg and Bacon "Pork Belly" ($14). A poached egg sitting atop a potato cake(?) then a crisped sous vide(?) pork belly doused in a Hollandaise sauce and micro greens... Rich, crisp, fatty, salty, unctuous, sensuous... oops, sorry, I lost my train of thought...

And since life is more than pork and duck fat, I also ordered a side of Fried Brussels and Walnuts ($7)

This pretty much was one of the better dinners I've had in a while... but there were still menu selections I wanted to sample...

So immediately after the Saturday symposia, I headed right back to Searsucker for Part II... and also took a kitchen counter seat again. This time I started with a glass of Prosecco.


Round two started with the Beef Tartare with Taro Chips and Quail Egg ($13). This was drizzled with a balsamic sauce and a garlic aioli. What else can I say about good raw beef?... my Cro-Magnon roots are beginning to show...


I then dove into the Octopus with Saffron Aioli and Mixed Greens ($11). Octopus either needs to be cooked for a very short time or a very long time - anything in between leaves you with rubber bands. These morsels were very tender and accentuated by the balsamic and mayo.


Next up was the Spinach, Egg, Mushroom, Bacon and Sweetbread Salad ($12). You know me, the total runny egg slut. But something about rich egg yolk mixing with tangy vinaigrette then crisp salty bacon, intense mushrooms and cubed, crisped sweetbreads... Silence once again, please... Okay, I've returned from my happy place.

Finally I chose the Fennel, Fingerlings and Yolk ($7) as my vegetable side dish. Not a whole lot of fennel going on but a nice blend of creamy textured fingerling potatoes, creamy/salty crumbled bleu cheese and the occasional roasted red pepper all schmeared with the runny egg yolk...


I actually broke out of my usual mold and indulged in dessert, the "King" Sundae ($9) which was peanut butter ice cream topped with bacon honey caramel, torched bananas and honey roasted peanuts. Ever since trying salty caramel, I've been a convert. Something about sweet and chewy meeting savory and salty. I left totally stuffed but with an ear to ear grin.

You may have read extreme reviews about Searsucker on Yelp or Urbanspoon or some other online website. These range from 1 to 5 out of 5. I can only say that both dining experiences I had were GREAT! There wasn't a long wait for the food to arrive (and Searsucker was packed on both occasions), the wait staff was helpful in making menu choices (no attitude whatsoever) and the food was GREAT! The next time I'm in San Diego, I plan to make a return visit... or two.

Searsucker
611 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 233-7327 (SEAR)

Lunch:
Monday – Friday 11:30AM – 2:00PM
Dinner:
Sunday – Thursday 6:00PM – 10:00PM
Friday – Saturday 6:00PM – 11:00PM
Bar:
Daily 5:00PM – Close
Brunch:
Sunday 10:00AM – 2:00PM

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Ryan,

I'm the social media manager for Searsucker and I just wanted to say thanks for this blog post! The descriptions and the pictures--WOW! We're going to be featuring this on our Facebook page today(as long as you don't mind). Hope to have you back at Searsucker soon!

Samantha Swensen
gochisogourmet said…
Samantha, go ahead with the post. Several colleagues want to try Searsucker on their next business trip to SoCal after i described your food...