Lunch at Soul de Cuba



I've been meaning to try this place for quite a while. However when you're located right next to Brasserie du Vin, it's hard for an incorrigible wino like myself to actually enter the restaurant - I usually walk past it directly to Brasserie du Vin. It's almost like trying another restaurant located right next to Vino. But today is Sunday and Brasserie du Vin is closed on Sundays. And Soul de Cuba is offering both a Sunday Brunch and the regular lunch menu. Time to order!


We started with a couple of house cocktails, the Mrs selected the Cuba Libre which is basically a rum and coke with a twist of lime though the rum probably wasn't the basic Baccardi.


I tried the Mojito since they say "when in Rome... ". It tasted just like my Mojito though I use Key limes in my version.


We started with the Soul Sampler plate which included Platanitos or fried plantains which were soft and sweet (I prefer the starchier fried plantains than the sweet) and I guess there were only 2 small pieces since plantains are relatively expensive in the 50th ($2.99 per pound at Whole Foods), Papa Rellena or mashed potato croquettes filled with spiced ground beef (this dish was very good with a crisp exterior and fluffy interior) and the Croquetas de Jaiba or crab cakes spiced with cayenne and sofrito (good though a little spicy).




The Mrs selected the Lechon Asado or lean roasted pork served on rice and beans with platanitos. The pork was very tender with a hint of vinegar though not as strong as pork adobo and the Mrs doused it with their "hot sauce" - she said it was more vinegary than peppery.


I debated between the Ropa Vieja (shredded beef) and Rabo Encendido (braised oxtails) but when I asked our server which she preferred, she immediately said "oxtail any day". Ok, sold! The plate had two large oxtail and they were fallin' off da bone. The perfect blend of meaty, fatty and gelatinous on white rice with black beans and platanitos (small pieces again). Another very good dish that kept me full the rest of the day.


The Mrs did want to try dessert she ordered the Mojito Cheesecake which had both lime and mint in the cream cheese mixture. As refreshing as cheesecake gets.


The Mrs already wants to return to try the snapper, spicy seafood pasta and the Cubano sandwiches but she want to return on a Saturday when Fighting Eel is also open. Of course Saturday also means Brasserie du Vin will also be open. But I think that since we've now sampled the food (and also enjoyed the food), bypassing Brasserie du Vin will be a lot easier.

Comments