Almost like Christmas



I recently spent all day replacing the compressor in my wine storage unit (think inefficient refrigerator, it keeps the temperature at 55 degrees and doesn't remove moisture). Of course to get the job done, I had to empty the unit to push it away from the wall but on the bright side, it did allow me to re-inventory what was in the unit. I have a semi-elaborate filing system for the unit and whenever I remove a bottle, it's crossed out and when I add a bottle, I document where it is in the unit. Of course that's in a perfect world. When attending dinners or BYOBs, I'll look at the logbook and say "this would be a nice bottle" then look in the unit to find that it's not there... and some other bottle is in its place that's not documented.

What also helps when doing the re-inventory is that you find bottles that have seepage. In other words wine has slowly leaked out of the cork. Sometimes it's innocuous, sometimes it does means the wine may have aged prematurely. If liquid can get out, air could have gotten in. And I did find two bottles with seepage, a 1995 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon (I remember purchasing this bottle from Fujioka's Wine Merchants when he first moved from Haleiwa to Honolulu) which is ready to drink anyway.


And a 2003 Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte which probably is several years away from drink-ability.


In any case, both will be uncorked and sampled within the week.

Now for the bottles still documented but no longer existing in storage. A 1997 Quintarelli Ca Del Merlo. I vaguely recall opening this bottle at Vino about a year or two ago so it's not like a tragic discovery. A 1971 Austrian Beerenauslese was also still listed but I know I drank that bottle years ago. So no real big discovery of loss.

But at the other end, I discovered 9 bottles in storage that I didn't even know existed. A 1993 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. I remember purchasing 2 bottles at R. Fields several years ago at discount but I thought I uncorked both. Nope.


1995 Jade Mountain Syrah. Can't say I even remember this purchase.


1996 Mauro Vendimia Seleccionada. Again, can't say when this was purchased.


2003 Shirvington McLaren Vale Cabernet Sauvignon. I vaguely remember this purchase.


2003 Two Hands Brave Faces Shiraz/Grenache. I remember this purchase but just forgot about the bottle since it wasn't documented.


2003 Akarua Central Otago Pinot Noir. A vague remembrance of the purchase especially since Pinots from Central Otago were hot for a while.


2003 Kalleske Barossa Valley Greenock Shiraz. What's up with 2003? Just forgot to document that vintage?


2004 Yann Chave Crozes Hermitage Le Rouvre. Don't remember this purchase either.


And the Creme de la Creme... a Krug Grande Cuvee Champagne. I guess because it was still in the box and tucked into the back of the unit, I guess I forgot about it.


So along with the satisfaction that the "children" are now all aging in cool comfort, early Merry Christmas to us! The Mondavi is probably past peak, the Jade Mountain will be interesting as I haven't had a Cali Syrah that old, the Mauro should still be good and the 2003/2004 are all right at a perfect drinking point. And the Krug, next big celebration it gets uncorked!

Comments