Dinner @ Oenotri



Yup, that's what our salumi and salad plates looked like after the locust swarm aka the T's. We didn't have any plans for our last dinner in Napa (and Hog Island's 50% special was just for 2 days) so the Mrs decided on Oenotri - partly because both the concierge at 1801 First and one of the hosts at a winery recommended it.


We first made a quick stop at Bounty Hunter mainly because their online menu had a 1 ounce pour of the 12 year old Pappy Van Winkle bourbon - considered by some as the best bourbon in the country and also with an aftermarket price in the $$$. But no luck and since I'm more of a rye sipper, I sampled the Whistle Pig rye.


While the Mrs had a draft Guinness.


I also sampled their Pinot Envy flight which included the:


2012 Flowers Sonoma Coast


201 Waypoint Blue Farm Vineyard


2012 Chappellet Cervantes

Then it was off to Oenotri just as they opened their doors... and the first thing I see on the menu is salumi. And not just one or two selections but twenty-nine. TWENTY-NINE! So we start with the sampler of ten including Nostrano, Sardegna, Soppressata, Siciliano, Pate Delicato, Rustica, Fino, Picante, Lonza and Porchetta Testa. SALUMI HEAVEN! And all made in-house!


Of course we needed to drink with it so I was about to order a Lambrusco but our server suggested a Quacquarini Vernaccia di Serrapetrona which was a little earthier than a Lambrusco and not as sweet but still a nice pairing with the mixed salumi.



We also sampled the Wood Oven Roasted Sugar Pie Pumpkin Salad with mint, parsley, arugula and pomegranate which provided a nice contrasting sweetness and bitterness to the rich salumi.


You also are served these airy crackers.


And a tray with olives, lightly pickled cucumbers and almonds.


Our server also recommended a special pizza of the evening - Truffle Pizza - with real Alba truffles shaved over the pizza. If I died and went to heaven after the salumi, I died again...


Then when you thought it couldn't get any better, we were served our mains including the Mrs' Pappardelle con Polpette with pork meatballs and broccolini (she had to sample the pasta after our concierge - who said she was Italian - said that Oenotri's pastas are as good as anything she's tried).


And my Lingua alla Milanese. About as large a serving as tongue as I've ever seen but with a perfectly crisp exterior and fork tender interior with just enough salt from the Parmigiano and bitterness from the arugula to balance the dish... I guess I died a 3rd time...


The Mrs still had room for dessert so she sampled some caramel-torta-thing... I was too stuffed to sample it...


...but I still had room for a digestivo so I sampled the Amari Flight with Nardini Tagliatella, Amaro Lucano and Varnelli-Amaro Sibilla. Before your eyes widen, I only sampled a 1 ounce pour of each - our server left the bottles for me to take a photo.


Another superlative meal in Napa! But therein lies the problem. Bottega has already been designated as "gotta try again"... but so has Ca' Momi and now Oenotri... I guess these Napa trips will just have to be longer...

Oenotri
1425 First Street
Napa, CA 94559

(707) 252-1022
Dinner:
5:30 to close Sun - Thu
5:30 to 10:00 Fri - Sat
Brunch:
10:00 - 3:00 Sat and Sun

Comments