First Day in Napa



After touching down at SFO in the wee hours of the early morning, we quickly picked up our car rental then headed to Napa Valley via the Bay Bridge. As we entered Napa Town, it was still dark with the sunrise just beginning to peek over the Vaca Mountains. Since we only got about 30 minutes of restful sleep on the UAL flight, I needed to replenish with caffeinated beverages (I quickly downed a large iced coffee before picking up our bags at SFO) so we parked at the Oxbow Market and found the Model Bakery a little before sunrise.


Also need sustenance so I sampled the Breakfast Muffin with hash browns, scrambled egg and bacon between their English muffin.



Hot and satisfying! The muffins must be popular because it's limited to 6 per purchase unless you order in advance. The Mrs selected the Healthy Breakfast Sandwich with egg whites and other goodies tucked into fresh bread.



After our impromptu breakfast, we started the drive to St Helena to visit Castello di Amorosa. The Mrs always wanted to see the Sattui Family's (of V. Sattui winery fame) tribute to their Italian heritage with an authentic castle. Plus they are one of the few wineries open at 9:30am - most wineries start the day at 10:30. I paid the $20 tasting fee ($15 for 5 regular tastes, $20 for 6 reserve tastes) then we wandered throughout the castle - I didn't want to do the guided tour we had lunch reservations at 12:00pm.


Of course as we exit the car, I hear that all too familiar call of the rooster... of course, these dudes have feathery feet or ornate headdress unlike the fowl back home...



Man, I didn't know wine-making affords you a crib like this...







I didn't really plan on purchasing any wine here even if it's only available at the winery... it is true, wines at V. Sattui and Castello di Amorosa are only for sale at the winery. And believe me, I've been bamboozled before purchasing "exclusive" wine that's "only available at the winery" just to later find it the same day at Cost Plus for $5 less. But our pourer - Vincenzo - had an authentic Italian accent and made me an offer I couldn't refuse... Buy a case and get a 10% discount plus $20 off of shipping... and their shipping to the 50th was as cheap as they come - $69. And their off dry Riesling and Gewurztraminer are perfect with Hawaii's southeast Asian cuisine... Okay, SOLD! Been in Napa only for 4 hours and I've already purchased a case...

Comments