Lay's... at it again...



So once again, that terrific marketing scheme from Lay's is up and runnin' again. Why just test new flavors in a lab with a select group of taste testers. Sell the product as a limited item so a feeding frenzy ensues... then laugh all the way to the bank. I'm sure the extra sales more than pays for the cash prize given to the person who created the new flavor!

And like the rest of the public, we once again... took the bait...


First up, the Wavy West Coast Truffle Fries...

When I first saw this flavor, I slapped myself upside the head thinkin' why didn't I think of this? I mean truffled french fries and truffled chips are some of the best eats known to mankind. Then I thought... how will they preserve that truffle flavor because even good truffle oil loses it fragrance at room temperature in nothin' flat!... Then I opened the bag and stuck my nose in... deep... no truffle smell at all... in fact a slight shrimp odor a little like shrimp chips... then taste... slight cheese taste but nothing else...


Next up, the Kettle Cooked Greektown Gyro

Okay, open the bag and stick the noggin' deep into the bag. Yes, there is a slight aroma of cooked lamb... slight dill essence... then taste. Most of the lamb essence is only on the nose and doesn't carry to the taste buds as well... but the herbal qualities of a good tzaziki are still there on the palate...


Then the Southern Biscuits and Gravy

Once again, get that noggin deep into the bag... a hint of sage on the nose... a very little beefy essence but not really gravy essence then taste... pronounced saltiness of a gravy but the sage disappears on the palate and maybe just a touch of gravy flavor...


Lastly, the New York Reuben

Same exercise, get that nose deep in the bag as soon as it's opened... definite corned beef aroma and a hit of caraway... even a touch of sauerkraut... then taste... the corned beef does carry through the palate along with a touch of 'kraut and a hint of caraway... I'd say we have a winner!

To be fair, I didn't taste each bag on the same day so there was no olfactory or gustatory fatigue involved. And again, I'd say by a wide margin, the New York Reuben exemplified what it was supposed to smell and taste like...

Comments