Lunch @ Smith & King


Since I had the day off courtesy of our Veterans, I decided to make a stop at Sig on Smith in Chinatown. It opened earlier in the year and gives an extra option some of Sig Zane's aloha wear... unless you want to go to Hilo or purchase online. The one confusing thing is his sizing. I normally wear a medium but found that his online shirts run a little small so I have to get a large. His rainforest collection designed mainly for clients in Japan (or Neiman Marcus) run very small so I need an extra large. However his Sig on Smith line runs the way it should so I purchased a medium today... And by the way, Sig on Smith is only open on Fridays... that's it hence my trip today...

Of course once that was done, I needed lunch. I originally planned on grabbing a bar seat at Livestock Tavern right across the street for their Lobster Roll before their winter menu debuts... I also planned on getting a take-out order of their Chop Salad for the Mrs since she had to work today...

Well no luck! All of the bar seats including the two tops were all taken. I then tried Lucky Belly... same situation, bar seats and tables all filled! Okay, The Pig and the Lady opens for lunch on weekdays... Only two seats at their dessert bar... so I finally found a seat at Smith and King.

Since they are a bar, I opted for a brewsky instead of my usual vino.. an Elyssian Night Owl Pumpkin Ale on tap... good pumpkin flavor with pronounced allspice...


The barkeep did mention their special... something about charcuterie so I asked him if the charcuterie plate and Lobster Mac and Cheese would be too much food... He said that the charcuterie wasn't a plate, it was their burger special..


Since it also came with fries, I went with the special... salame, stinky cheese and a mustard sauce... very good though I did have to unhinge my jaw to get a good bite...



I also sampled another brewsky, the Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero which was brewed obviously with chocolate but also some ancho chili and tomato to give it a mole-type of flavor... it paired a little better with the burger though at 9.0% abv, it did give a kick (and my usual designated driver was at work)...




So I did get a filling meal after all, the burgers here are very good (I've sampled them before) and their fries are now done perfectly - at our first visits, they were a little greasy - and they do have a good selection of brewskies both on tap and in the bottle/can...

Comments