7 Smoked Mac-n-Cheese




Originally got the concept for this dish from 12th Avenue Grill in Kaimuki. Chef Kevin Hanney has an onsite smoker and smokes Parmesan cheese to give the final product a savoriness like bacon was added, but there's no bacon in the dish. That's what I was trying to achieve. Of course smoking my own cheese seemed a little mendokusai (humbug) so I purchased smoked cheeses from the supermarket which included:

Smoked Gouda (though notice that the smoke flavor is "artificial")


Smoked Mozzarella


Smoked Fontina


Smoked Bleu


Also found this artisanal bread from Safeway with bleu cheese - since I had smoked bleu in the product, I figured this would make a great bread crumb topping.



Diners did think that I added some bacon to the Mac-n-Cheese so I think my attempt was a success. But what's with the 7 Smoked Mac-n-Cheese name... to add additional smokiness, I also used smoked paprika and two types of smoked salt, smoked sea salt and NapaStyle's chardonnay smoked salt. Four smoked cheeses and 3 other smoked products makes... 7.

Comments

It didn't turn out too smokey? How did it taste? You didn't say!


"7 Smoked Mac-n-Cheese" sure sounds ono! I'd definitely order that if it were on a menu.

Never heard of smoked salt. Interesting.
gochisogourmet said…
Didn't turn out too snokey because the richness from the bechamel balanced the smoke. Actually planned on having it with my smoked meatloaf... maybe with a nice Syrah but the Mrs made her Moroccan chicken pie (b'steeya). You can get smoked sea salt from R Fields but it's a little pricey.