Miscellaneous Ramblin



Had dinner last night in the 'hood. The occasion? It was the Mrs B-day dinner from Mom (the two T bosses) and since Bro was in town, a quick dinner with the family. We had dinner at Kenko-Ya in K-Town, in the mini-strip-food-court that's part of Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center (where Safeway and Long's also reside). I must admit that though I did have my trusty FujiFilm EXR with me, I was a little camera shy so there are no photos. Why camera shy? Cuz I was in the 'hood! In K-Town, food is to eat, not to take pictures of. Though other web posts are less than gracious with Kenko-Ya, I thought the food was pretty good. I had the 3-selection combo ($16.95) with misoyaki butterfish, mochiko chikcen and tonkatsu. Portions large enough that I started feeling stuffed about half way through the meal. The tonkatsu was about a 3 ounce portion nicely breaded and pretty lean but not dry - still a tender and moist pork cutlet. The miso butterfish was nicely grilled - not too salty, very tender and flaky and though it was only about a 2 ounce piece (miso butterfish retails for about $7 per pound) it more than satisfied my hunger while the michiko chicken was the BOMB! A good cup full of bite sized morsels, a little crisp but not greasy (like mochiko chicken sometimes turns out) and not salty at all. I was a happy camper with my dinner selection!

We returned to Mom's where Bro brought out various sorbet from Henry's Place in Waikiki - the apple banana and mango were killer but the guava was very short on guava flavor while the coconut sorbet was totally lacking in coconut.

On another note, I haven't posted wines lately so here's a bunch:

2008 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir

Very Sonoma Coast in character with dried red cherry, dusty spices and earth in a refined package. Wine Spectator only gave it 90 points but it's a classic 95-pointer to me!

2005 Columbia Crest Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon


Wine Spectator's wine of the year last year. Loads of refined dark red fruit on the nose with a medium rich mouth feel with a nice balance of fruit, young tannins and a bit of earth and a medium long finish.

2005 Brewer Clifton Seasmoke Chardonnay


Always a perennial favorite, this Chard from the Seasmoke vineyard (the ocean fog that settles over the vines is the "seasmoke") has touches of stone fruit, citrus and mineral and is more Burgundian than New World Chardonnay. Notice the 16.4% abv?

2007 Seasmoke Southing Pinot Noir


Kris Curran's last vintage with Seasmoke - also a phenominal vintage that is concentrated to the hilt without being overbearing with ripe red fruit, Asian spice and a hint of mineral and a very long finish.

Until my next post, a voitre sante!

Comments