Kim Chi Fried Rice




Made some Kim Chi Fried Rice for the Mrs this evening (since she worked this weekend). I even cooked the rice this morning - I usually cook the rice at least 2 days ahead and refrigerate it to help dry out the rice (short grain rice retains more moisture) for that perfect fried rice texture. We had a Zip-Lock of lean Char Siu slices in the freezer and about 1/2 bunch of green onion so I was ready to go!

Roughly chop the Char Siu then slice the green onions and set aside. I first try to break up the clumps of rice as much as possible (cooking and refrigerating 2 days ahead facilitates this process) but it still is do-able with rice cooked the same day.

Heat oil (I use my go-to garlic flavored oil) then saute the chopped Char Siu. Once they release their flavor (and fat) toss the green onions then add the rice. I try to break up the remaining clumps of rice off heat so as not to scorch the rice (we're making fried rice, not Bi Bim Bap). Then add the Kim Chi seasoning and once again break up the rice so all morsels are evenly coated with seasoning...



Serve with a sunny side and you're good to go...

Comments