Wine Dinner at Le Guignol









Did an impromptu dinner with the regular wine gang at Le Guignol last night. No themes, just bring a bottle (or two) of vino that might pair with Chef Ala's cuisine or something you really wanted to try. I'm still looking for those several bottles of bubbly to celebrate the 50th so I brought Andre Jacquart Blanc de Blanc Premier Cru - if I knew the K's were attending, I would have also brought the Tarlant Zero Rose... guess that waits for another evening. The Jacquart had a perfumed nose with a touch of Pinot character - don't know how since it's pure Chardonnay - and a seamless flow over the palate. It was a lot better not too cold, just slightly chilled.



Chef Ala still offers two Foie Gras starters, one with a cinnamon cherry glaze and a savory with langoustines. They both paired well with the 1999 Chateau La Tour Blanche Sauterne though I preferred the sweeter cherry glaze with the wine. The Sauterne was just beginning to brown and had intense petrol, apricot and candied citrus peel with the usual mouthfilling concentration expected from an aged Sauterne.

Foie Gras with Cinnamon Cherry

Foie Gras with Langoustines



Next up was the Mrs' Salad Lyonnaise, my Escargot and K's Tomato Salad served in a martini glass.


At this point we had several more wines including a Vacheron Sancerre, 1999 Les Pallieres Gigondas (my favorite wine of the evening), a 2003 Clape Cornas (my second fave), a 2006 Mount Eden Chardonnay, a 2002 Vall Llach Priorat and a 1990 Whitehall Lane Morisoli Cabernet Sauvignon. There were other wines but this is where my memory starts getting a little foggy... due to said wines.



I had the special Duck Breast with L'Orange Sauce while the Mrs sampled the double cut Pork Chops. Others on the table had the Filet Mignon and the Rack of Lamb.




These impromptu dinners with good friends, delicious food and fine wines makes life... well, worth living. And recharges the batteries for the next work week.

Comments