Lamb Shank Redoux

The Mrs found some meaty lamb shanks at Safeway last weekend - and we didn't have to time to prepare them then - so this weekend is Lamb Shank Redoux. Since I made a Tuscan (or Provence) inspired rendition last round, I decided on my standby Asian variation this time. After the shanks were trimmed of excess fat and silverskin, they were placed in my trusty Fagor combo pressure/slow cooker with several slices of ginger, crushed garlic and quartered fresh meaty shiitake.






I also added a bunch of green onions, fresh cilantro and one can of beef broth. Since the cilantro was beginning to yellow (I only added the green bits), I also added a tablespoon of my homemade cilantro pesto and 2 tablespoons of black bean/garlic paste (bottled variety) along with 2 star anise pods.





Add a splash of shochu and we're ready to cook. I set the Fagor cooker to low pressure for the first 30 minutes then switched to slow cook for the next 2 hours. Once the slow cook cycle was complete, I re-set the low pressure cooking setting back for another 45 minutes.




Can you say fallin'-offa-da-bone? I had trouble retrieving the shank for a photo it was SOOOOOO tendah! Teeth not needed to grind these bad boys!


What to drink? The Asian spices and inherent richness of the meat begged for complementary spices and solid acid... Central Coast Pinot Noir! Can you say Capiaux Pisoni Vineyard Pinot Noir?!

Comments