Bandar, the Rock Bottom Brewery & Osetra Watergrill


On the last day of the conference, I was anticipating my last several meals in SanDiego. The ADA Conference concluded just before 12:00 noon so I quickly did my online check-in for the flight home then headed to Bandar for lunch. Bandar serves Persian cuisine though the decor of the restaurant was more club-like especially with jazz music playing in the background (a big plus in my book). I started with the Dolmeh ($11.50) or grape leaves stuffed with rice, peas and a medley of herbs such as tarragon, parsley, chives, rosemary, cilantro and basil. This was served with a yogurt dipping sauce. The Dolmeh were okay as I didn't get the flavors of most of the herbs, just the parsley.


I then proceeded to the Adas Polo ($18.95) or rolled chicken tenders that were charbroiled and served with a rice pilaf mixed with currants, dates and lentils. For charbroiled chicken - which often can be very dry and tough - these were exceptionally tender. In fact they were as tender as braised chicken so I assume it had to do with the marinating process (perhaps with yogurt)? I actually had to stuff myself with the last 2 tenders since the dish came with 6 pieces and I was beginning to hit my limits of copious consumption.


I then intended on relaxing in my room before dinner in air conditioned comfort but realized that my room still wasn't visited by housekeeping. Therefore I simply paid a visit to the Rock Bottom Brewery to sample their brews. I started with the Sunset Stout ($5.75), a hearty dark brew with nice body and a little bitterness on the back end. I finished my self proclaimed Happy Hour with a pint of their Colorado Brown Ale (compted by the barkeep) - dark in color but surprisingly light on the palate with a malty quality.


Since my room still wasn't finished, I then headed to Osetra Watergrill for their version of Happy Hour - $1 oysters until 7:00pm and 50% off all cold appetizers (except the caviar and lobster). I ordered a glass of Mumm Rose Champagne ($15) just as I was seated then sampled a half dozen (still a little stuffed from Bandar and the 2 brewskys or I would have ordered 2 dozen).




I also sampled the Tre Carpaccio ($8.50 happy hour price) or slices of raw salmon, scallop and tuna with basil and red pepper oil and a touch of shoyu. The perfect light appetizer for the already-stuffed traveler.


There was a camera crew filming something in the upstairs dining area so the hostess (who also functioned as the Wine Angel) did a little demo. Reminds me of the Wine Angel at Charlie Palmer's Aureole in the Mandalay Bay Resort in Las Vegas.


Well, this concludes my dining adventures in the Gaslamp District in San Diego but they'll be many more to come in the future...

Comments