Nicky Rotten's & Greystone, the Steakhouse


During Sunday's midday break, I decided to peruse the Gaslamp District once again for midday sustenance. A couple of blocks from the Convention Center I found Nicky Rotten's. Since it was Sunday, Happy Hour started at 11:00am which meant half priced appetizers (and $3 beer). Since I wasn't getting anywhere near the usual veggie consumption, I ordered the Grilled Citrus Chicken Caesar Salad and a side of Tater Tots with Pesto Aioli (hey, they were only $3.50). I also had a glass of Arrogant Bastard Ale since I could always get my fill of caffeinated beverages before the symposia resumed for the afternoon sessions.

The Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad ($10.95) actually was very good with crisp romaine and a dressing that resembled Caesar Cardini's bottled (though the menu said it was their special house made dressing). The chicken strips were also very tender.

Since the Tater's were 50% off and included a mayo based dressing I couldn't resist. In fact I've consumed my fair share of Tots, enough so that they should rename them after me - "Tater Tats"...


Okay, now to fill up on black coffee to remain alert until 6:30pm when the afternoon symposia conclude.

And of course once the day's sessions ended, I headed out to find the evening vittles. This time it was Greystone, the Steakhouse (which is part of the Osetra Watergrill and Panevino group) since the menu listed a Kobe Carpaccio and Tartare ($19). So of course, this is was what I started my meal with along with a glass of 2007 Volk Pinot Noir ($14). The tartare portion was scented with truffle oil while the carpaccio was topped with an arugula salad. A nice start to any meal (and yes, I know that my Cro-Magnon roots are rearing their supraorbital ridges again).

I also enjoyed a side of the Duck Fried Rice ($10) with a glass of 2007 Volpaia Chianti Classico ($11). The fried rice was on the sweeter side with touches of hoisin and fresh pineapple and while the duck flavor didn't really come through, it was a good dish none the less.

And of course, I needed my veggies so I also had a side of Broccoli with Garlic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil ($8).


And since this was a steakhouse, I ended my meal with that classic steakhouse libation; the Manhattan. I asked the barkeep what bourbon she used in the classic Manhattan (I usually make my home version with Maker's Mark). She stated that she also used Maker's Mark if the customer didn't specify any particular bourbon. I asked what her 2nd choice would be; Basil Hayden, so I ordered exactly what the barkeep specified. I did notice that her concoction used more maraschino liquid than I use and didn't include any bitters.

Well, 2 more days of symposia... or four more meals in San Diego before heading back to the 50th.

Comments