Impromtu Blind Tasting



We decided to drop by Vino last night (mainly since the Mrs just started a 1 week vacation) on a whim since I assumed that none of the Vino regulars would be present (most of them attended the Champagne tasting on Thursday and there wasn't any special event last night). Despite the last minute patronage, I decided to bring a bottle of 1994 Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte with me... just in case. As Chuck approached our table, he asked what bottle I had in my bag. When I told him, he immediately said I should call B and that we could do a blind tasting. My bottle, B's bottle and a 3rd bottle provided by Vino. After a rash of texting, there we were - four of us with 5 bottles in tow... then K joined us with another bottle and Chuck providing 2 more bottles... As is usual with the wine gang, when it snows, it eventually turns into an avalanche!

Before our blind tasting started we finished off 3 food specials for the evening; the Salad Lyonnaise with young frisee, tomatoes, lardons and a perfectly poached egg with a simple vinaigrette.


The Fettuccine Carbonara with the same pancetta along with sugar snap peas.


And the Mahimahi on Crisped Gnocchi and Chanterelles. This should go on the regular menu! Along with a crisp gnocchi and fresh chanterelles, it was perfect with a glass of Alta Maria Chardonnay!


The first wine up was from B. Obvious earth on the nose leading me to think Old World but also ripe fruit. I though either young gun Old World vintner or maybe slightly aged Aussie. It was a 2000 Correggia Roche d'Ampsei Nebbiolo.


Next up was my wine. Both B & S assumed Bordeaux and they were correct!


S then poured his first wine. It tasted old, Very old. So I assumed an aged Rhone. Not even! It was a 1966 Jouvet Pommard. Even after it was unmasked, I didn't think it remotely tasted like a Pinot... Oh well...


S poured his second wine... immediate hit of ripe red fruit with a touch of Asian spice. Gotta be a domestic Pinot. Specifically Hirsch vineyard. Part wrong, part right. it was a 1998 Patz & Hall Hyde Vineyard Pinot Noir.


We then sampled Chuck's first wine. I thought it had the unmistakable aroma of French funk. However there was a hit of red cherry on the palate but no Burgundian complexity. Assuming there was some Grenache in the mix, I guessed aged CDP... WRONG! 1996 Angelo Sassetti Pertimali Brunello di Montalcino.


K then joined us with a bottle Chuck selected for her. Earth, earth then more earth on the nose. Good fruit concentration but that earth had me stumped... WTH! The only guess I could muster was some Bandol or Southern France wine... It turned out to be the 2005 Chaos by Fattoria de Terrazze.


B then unleashed his 2nd bottle. Funky nose, loads of complexity and obviously with some age. This had to be Rhone... and it was, the 1994 Vieux Telegraphe.


The final bottle was also provided by Chuck. Once again funky nose with loads of complexity. Gotta be a 1998 Tempier La Tourtine... Nope, 1992 Vieuz Telegraphe. Funny how you can sample wines from the same vintner just 2 years apart and have totally different conclusions. Oh well, I won't quit my day job.


What started as an impromptu visit for a simple dinner turned into a full blown tasting and I am happy that it did!

Comments