Dinner @ Spur Gastropub



This was the only dinner reservation I made for the whole trip mainly based on the web menu... which is kinda sketchy since market availability can change the menu on a whims notice. But since most of the menu looked great, as long as 50% of it was still offered, I knew I couldn't go wrong. So there we were at 5:40pm (20 minutes early) but were promptly seated next to the window (I believe they only seat beautiful people by the window... unless they're hurtin' for business so bad that they want to show ANYONE, diners still patronize their business). In any case, I started with a French 75 - the same libation I had at Purple Wine Bar and Cafe which consists of Champagne, lemon juice and gin.


The Mrs sampled the West Coast Pimm's with Pimm's #1, lemon, basil, mint, cucumber and ginger ale


We then progressed to an order of Frites (half off during happy hour)


The Venison Tartare (I wouldn't have been able to tell you it was venison but it was GOOD none-the-less) with smoked beet puree


The Baby Artichokes with smoked yogurt (I NEED to find out how to smoke yogurt... it's a KILLER sauce)!


And the Goat Cheese Gnudi - billowy pillows of dumpling goodness in brown butter


Since Spur Gastropub also offers multi course meals with either wine OR cocktail pairings, I opted for another house specialty cocktail. This round it was the Gray Manhattan with rye whiskey, Averna and punt-e-mes.


The Mrs chose the Slow Cooked Pork Cheeks with beer onion puree, crispy spatzle and apple mostarda which paired tender and rich pork with a flavorful thick "gravy" and browned bits of spatzle or mini dumplings.


While I selected the Veal Sweetbreads with squash, cranberries and black kale. Crisp on the outside and tender, succulent on the inside and balanced nicely by the sweet vermouth and bite of rye whiskey.


I allowed the Mrs to select 2 desserts (since I usually only partake in liquid desserts while on vacation). She chose the Butternut Squash, Chocolate and Orange which consisted of butternut squash custard, chocolate sorbet and crystallized orange zest.


And the Pear, Maple and Burnt Cinnamon which consisted of poached pears, frozen maple yogurt and cinnamon sponge cake. Both dessert provided a range of textural and flavor sensations - what we strive for in any dessert.


I finished the evening with a Ford Cocktail which paired gin, Dolin Blanc, Benedictine and orange bitters... the perfect digestivo!


If we spent more time in the city, we definitely would trial another round of Spur Gastropub. It IS that GOOD! Perhaps the Black Cod or Smoked Pork Rillette or Wagyu Sirloin... but I guess that's another visit to Seattle in the future...

Comments