Samuel Adams Holiday Sampler



The Mrs carted back a cold-pack of Samuel Adams Holiday Sampler pack this past weekend. Before I hear "oohs" and "aahs" of what a good spouse she is caring for the hubby (she actually is a good spouse), the main reason she purchased this cold-pack was that it listed a Chocolate Bock as part of the sampler. Her favorite brewsky other than Stella Artois on tap is Rogue Chocolate Stout brewed by Sebbie Buhler. I'll admit that Rogue's Chocolate Stout is also one of my favorite brews!

The double six-pack sampler included the basic Boston Lager, Winter Lager, White Christmas Ale, Chocolate Bock, Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig Ale. The Boston lager is their standby classic so I knew it was good.


The BOMB was the Chocolate Bock! The Mrs usually will say that Rogue's Chocolate Stout is her favorite. This brew changed all of that. Rich and creamy like Valrhona cocoa powder but not sweet or cloying. I would have a glass of this over after dinner port anytime... ok, maybe not 1963 vintage Port but this is a mighty fine flavored brew!


The Holiday Porter also was no slouch though I prefer dark brews


The Fezziwig Ale had a massive hit of bitter hops with a subtle spice on the back end


While the White Christmas Ale was a cross between a hefeweizen and traditional ale


The Winter Lager was a good "food" beer with a nice balance of hops, malt and spice


All six selections were pretty good so I'd sample a 12-pack if I were you. Now it's on to Anchor Steam's 2012 holiday brew...

Comments