2013 JCCH New Year's Ohana Festival



I've been attending the annual JCCH New Year's Festival for several years now mainly to pickup a new set of omamori for the house and cars. It's usually held on the 2nd Sunday of the New Year with food booths, live demonstrations, taiko drums and crafts. Oh yah, and 3 temples offering various omamori ranging from pet protection to traffic safety to home protection. One temple even has an onsite priest to bless you and your loved ones. Of course, along with securing my omamori I also attend to get my annual fill of regional foods (Grandpa was Hiroshima-ken, Grandma was Yamaguchi-ken and Mom's side is Kumamoto-ken).




And they also offer KC-Drive-Inn-ken foods like the famous Waffle Hot Dog


This year's Yamaguchi-ken specialty was a salmon bento, mini chicken bento along with home made takuan


The Hiroshima-ken stand as usual offered the Okonomiyaki bento prepared front and center by the same bow-tied elderly gentleman every year



They also had loads of kiddie inflatable play things


Of course, I REALLY had to attend this year since the sis-n-law is the President and Executive Director of the Center (and this was her first festival).



Though even if she weren't the Prez, I'd still make my annual pilgrimage to the Center.

Comments