Dinner by Marukai



Since I already was in town, I made a stop at Marukai before heading back over the Koolaus. Still working on my work CEs so I decided to purchase dinner and since it was past 2:00pm, I knew the pre-packed foods would be 15% to 20% off. I first picked up a pound of Onion Tako Poke since it was sliced thinner and tray was still nearly full (probably anticipating the Pro-Bowl spectators on Sunday). Marukai makes what I consider the BEST tako poke in the state!


I then grabbed a tray of pre-sliced sake (wild caught salmon sashimi from Canada). While Marukai's sake isn't as good as Mitch's Sushi (not very many are), it was on special and still very fatty.


I also grabbed a tray of pre-sliced hamachi (farm raised yellowtail from Japan). Once again, not as fatty and silky as Mitch's Sushi but on special and still good.


I prefer either finely sliced myoga (Japanese ginger blossoms) or shiso (perilla leaves) leaves as the "greens" with my sashimi (most sashimi is served either with daikon "strings" or julienne lettuce under the slices as "greens"). However since 3 pieces of myoga was $6.99 and the shiso tray was $1.99, I went with the shiso.


Marukai's mixed grain rice was 15% off so I grabbed a tray


And dinner isn't complete without veggies so I picked up a tray of the vegetable tempura (okay, it's batter coated and deep fried but it's still veggies... unless you want me to count the shiso as veggies).


And of course, man (and woman) can't live with just rice, fish, tako and tempura so I picked up a bottle of Born Gold Daiginjo sake (if I'm confusing you with both rice wine and salmon as "sake", rice wine is pronounced like "sah-keh" while salmon is pronounced like "sha-keh"). Fragrant on the nose with white flowers and tropical fruit with a touch of sweetness on the palate with medium viscosity and a pleasant medium finish.


For a "supermarket" meal, I'd say it was pretty good meal (and that's not the sake talking) and I'll probably do it again when prepping a meal in the late afternoon just doesn't seem so enticing...

Comments