The Good Table



This year marks the second year I've purchased a table for Lanakila Pacific's The Good Table which benefits their Meals on Wheels program. And for the second year, the table I purchased was for a sit down dinner at none other than Hank's Haute Dogs. Of course, it almost wasn't to be since I initially was informed that tables would be up for sale from August 30th. I knew from last year's event that tables did go on sale 1 or 2 days early... but low and behold, they started selling tables from August 20th. By the time I visited Lanakila's website, the tables at the "Bigs Boys", Alan Wong, Nobu, Roy's, etc were already purchased. Luckily, Hank offered four tables of six so I got mine before they were sold out. Hank notified diners that he would be serving a Hawaiian Luau with charcuterie, sausages and all the fixins'


Leading up to the dinner (all Good Table dinners were on Oct 3rd at 6pm), I procured several different brewskies from Whole Foods. I basically looked for the beer ratings getting only what scored a 95 point score or better.







I also decided that The Good Table would also serve as my annual Birthday Party (a little early) since we lost two BYOB establishments in the last 6 months and frankly with the Government Shutdown, furloughs, etc, I just didn't plan any B-Day celebration this year.

Dinner started with assorted charcuterie, pickled herring, cheeses and Bruder E's pork filled buns.



Then progressed to a Pork Shank soup Hank simmered for 2 days


We then progressed to an assortment of Bratwurst and other sausages (Hank even shipped some in from Chicago) with sauerkraut and German potato salad.




I uncorked a 2006 Pichler Gruner Veltliner for the sausages


While C treated us to a 2009 Hans Wirsching IphoferJulius-Echter-Berg Silvaner


With more Champagne (always a good thing)


We also were served Liverwurst


With some of Chris Sy's pumpernickel (you really have to sample some of Chris' breads sold at The Pig and the Lady)


Then the main course, Sauerbraten with red cabbage and creamed spinach






Along with Roast Duck


I also uncorked a 2009 Dr Thanisch Pinot Noir from Germany


With an assortment of other Pinot Noirs






Dessert was an assortment of fresh berries on a Bavarois


I uncorked a 1976 Klosterkeller Beerenauslese Gewurztraminer though it was slightly oxidized... but still drinkable... for friends at least.



Another great Good Table produced by Hank and Co. Good friends, good food, good wine, good cause. Can't lose no matter what Congress isn't doing...

Comments