Chinese Roast Pork



I recently saw a video posted on FB informing viewers how to prepare Chinese Roast Pork. A slab of pork belly is first marinated for 12 hours in a blend of Chinese five spice, salt, white pepper, sugar and Shao Xin wine - since I attended a wine tasting on the evening when it was supposed to cook, my pork belly marinated for 48 hours.


After marination, the pork skin is then liberally "pricked" with either very sharp skewers or a knife then brushed with vinegar and coated with about 1/4 inch of course salt. Aluminum foil is tightly wrapped around the edges of the belly so that the salt just remains on the skin.


After baking at 395 degrees for 50 minutes, then salt is removed and the skin is broiled for 10 to 15 minutes to get it nice and crisp. And voila, home made Chinese Roast Pork.


Since I have a date with my gastroenterologist next week and I'm only allowed clear liquids tomorrow, I splurged with some sunny sides with the belly...


Will probably try this same recipe with different seasonings for the next round...

Comments