Smokin' on Labor Day


Since I had the three-day goin' on, I decided to light up the Char-Griller again for some smoked vittles. I marinated several trays of pork sirloin in my usual grillin' herbs with rosemary, lemon thyme, sage, onion and garlic powder along with brown sugar and shoyu for a couple of days. Since the Mrs also had a tray of opah (moonfish), I salt-n-peppered those and also threw them on the smoker.


Of course while smokin' or grillin', you need a beverage so I uncorked a 2012 Maison L'Envoye The Attache Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. The new product of Mark Tarlov since he left the original Evening Land project.



I also smoked some Roma tomatoes and onions for my smoked tomato mayonnaise and threw some Italian seasoned chicken breasts on for good measure.



I originally intended on grillin' a Chef's Cut Ribeye - ribeye with that thick slab of fat just around the "eye" removed then secured with butcher's twine to produce a round steak. The Mrs also found a tray of lamb T-Bone cuts that were intended to sear over direct heat but after my smoked vittles came off of the Char-Griller, I decided to smoke the ribeye and lamb chops as well. They cam off the smoker at medium to medium well but you know what? They were still VERY tender due to the lo-n-slow and that smoked lamb fat cap was... ONO as all hell!




And since we needed beverages, I uncorked a 1995 Corison Cabernet Sauvignon. If you notice the abv is at 12.8% which is a rarity for Cali Cabs. The winery had one of the worst tours ($25 for simply sampling a couple of wines) but their Cabs bridge Cali and Bordeaux with dried fruit, herbs and green pepper initially then flesh fruit with aeration.


I wish all work weeks included three-days but I guess that'll have to wait until retirement when every work week includes a seven-day...

Comments