Ana Aftermath



Though I'm grateful that Ana skirted just south of the Hawaiian Islands and didn't cause any damage, it did leave a constant rain over the weekend. So what to do since we didn't make any plans (plus the Mrs worked the weekend). First thing to do on Saturday evening is uncork a bottle, a 1995 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon.


Subtle fleshy red fruit on the nose with smooth tannins and just enough acid to perk up the palate. It can go a couple of more years but I'd uncork now since it's unlikely to improve.

Then on Sunday, get cooking! Especially since I received that new early birthday present for myself, a Tosho Knife Arts gyuto...


I first saw the shop in one of Tony Bourdain's "Layover" shows in Ontario. Even he purchased a knife after visiting the shop and they do have a website... plus I "HAD" to purchase this cherry blossom blade after seeing it online...

Cut like a hot blade through "buttah"...

So I chopped some cabbage with some snap peas...



And used this seasoning I found at Whole Foods... except I used a whole small cabbage... I mean 3 cups of uncooked cabbage and 1/2 cup of snap peas makes just 1 serving...


Of course, I snacked on this while doin' the prep... kinda interesting since you get a balance of subtle sweet maple and subtle smoky bacon...


And since it was time to refresh Sponge Bob, I made a triple truffle sourdough pizza...


With Truffle Paste, Boschetto truffle cheese and truffle oil...




And since man can't live with truffle alone, I uncorked a 2000 Comte Lafon Volnay... just an AOC but it perfectly fit the bill with the triple truffled pizza. Surprising red fruit initially on the nose (maybe because it was an AOC) that gave the characteristic funk as it came to room temp with a nice balance of earth, fruit and acid...


Well, I didn't get a lot accomplished this weekend due to the storm but I am glad that it didn't hit us directly and I can't complain anytime the weekend includes truffled pizza and red Burg...

Comments