Dinner @ Ca' Momi Enoteca



After leaving 750 Wines, we grabbed a quick caprese sandwich from Model Bakery...


...then made a short stop at Napa Wine Co. Napa Wine Co has a full crush facility and they provide the equipment for small winemakers who don't have the capital to start their own winery. Of course, the owners are multi-generation grape growers who initially made their own wine bottled under the "Napa Wine Co" moniker. But in the last several years, they have included the Ghost Block, Elizabeth Rose and Temescal labels and have even partnered with famed OSU coach Barry Switzer for the Switzer Family label. And here is where I get my usual allocation of Ghost Block.


Then after a brief rest back at 1801 First, we headed back to the Oxbow Market for dinner starting once again with a dozen Cliffside oysters at half price. The Mrs also ordered (once again), the Tricolore Salad plus a couple of Kumamoto oysters.



Then it was off to Ca' Momi Enoteca. I perused their menu even before leaving the 50th and what caught my attention was their Slow Food section with tripe, liver, tongue, oxtail and sweetbreads. Complete nose-to-tail dining!


The Mrs started with the Marianna ($10) or pomegranate and apricot syrup with Ca' Secco Frizzante (their own label sparkling wine).


While I had a glass of the Ca' Momi Rosso di Napa ($7) - again, their own label wine.


The Mrs then moved on to her bowl of Ribollita ($12).


While I selected the Animelle fritte alla romana ($12) or fried sweetbreads served with lemon. Crisp then succulent... a very good start!


I then moved on to the Lingua fritta al balsamico ($16) or ox tongue cutlets with a Balsamic glaze. Add two scoops of rice and some mac salad and you have a perfect plate lunch! I guess since Ca' Momi is Italian, make that two scoops of risotto and some pasta salad...


While the Mrs sampled her Spaghetti alla putanesca ($15).


And I dove into my Trippa alla contadina ($14) or tripe braised in soffritto, Pinot Grigio and rosemary. This was undoubtedly was THE BEST TRIPE dish I've EVER SAMPLED! PERIOD! The tender trippa had the consistency of rehydrated shiitake and the soffritto of carrots, onions and celery gave the dish another dimension of flavors with a hit of fresh rosemary. The next tine I'm in Napa, I HAVE TO sample this AGAIN!


Of course, after a late lunch, a dozen oysters and salad then a superlative meal at Ca' Momi we both were totally sated - the Mrs couldn't even manage dessert which is like me turning down another glass of vino... oh well, hopefully there will be many more trips to Napa.

Ca' Momi Enoteca
Oxbow Public Market
610 1st Street
Napa, CA 94559

(707) 257-4992
Open Daily from 7:30am to 9:00pm

Comments