Lunch @ Lark Creek Steak



The Mrs felt a little deflated before our trip even started when I told her that Edition by Banana Republic was no longer open at the Westfield San Francisco Centre. However she still wanted to pay a visit since her favorite burger was "Under the Dome" at Lark Creek Steak. So after window shopping for an hour or so, we headed up to the dome and got a table just as they opened.


And as usual, it started with cocktails with an RBG for the Mrs or raspberry juice, basil, grapefruit juice and soda (non-alcoholic).


And a Sazerac for me. It seems that the barkeep was a new hire as our server watched him make my libation every step of the way including instructing him exactly which glass to use.


We then moved on to the Fuji Apple and Pecan Salad with field greens, marinated Fuji apples, candied pecans and Bleu cheese.


Then to the main course... decisions, decisions for the Mrs. She loves their burgers and had them on two previous visits but she's always wanted to sample their steaks. For the record, I've always had the same thing, the entree sized portion of Steak Tartare but on this visit, I noticed Lark Creek Steak scaled back by only offering an appetizer sized portion of Steak Tartare - 3.5 ounces just with crostini. They used to offer the appetizer portion at 4 ounces and an entree portion at 7 ounces complete wih a green salad and steak-cut fries with Bearnaise sauce.

So I made the Mrs an offer, she could finally sample the steak of her choice and I would order the burger which she could also sample. Like a two for one deal... with a catch. I wouldn't order the basic Steakburger with cheddar that she normally orders but the Black Perigord Truffle Steakburger... and she agreed!


This is totally the BOMB! Just enough truffle perfume in the Brie with a hint of truffle in the vinaigrette with just enough bitterness in the frisee to balance the meat... I mean steak...


Look at that perfect medium-rare...


While the Mrs had her New York with fries instead of mashed potato.


The only issue was she also ordered it medium-rare and it was almost past medium. I know we could have sent it back but I hate the thought of food being wasted - even if I'm not paying for it - and it still had great beef flavor.

Which I know because we switched plates about half way through the meal so the Mrs could also get her burger fix... and I think she enjoyed the truffled burger as much as her usual basic burger...

She also sampled the Strawberry and Blueberry Crisp along with a Gingerbread Cookie that Lark Creek Steak is donating all of its sales to the Make A Wish Foundation.



While I had my standby libation - the Negroni except it was the Lark Creek Negroni which wasn't as bitter as the classic - and it also was made under the watchful eye of our server.


So while the New York was done a little past the doneness we prefer, the Black Perigord Truffle Steakburger was killer! And when I mentioned the two Tartare options previously offered to someone who appeared to be the floor manager, she said to simply request it the next time we're there since they can accommodate a wide range of requests... Which now means, Perigord Steakburger or Steak Tartare...

Comments