Home Made Pastrami


I tried creating my own house made pastrami over the weekend. The first step was simply to purchase package of corned beef brisket. Since St Paddy's Day has come and gone, several packages are now on sale so we purchased a 3 pound slab. You first have to soak it in ice water to remove some of the excess salt then coat it in a mixture of black pepper and coriander and let it marinate overnight.


I then fired up the coals early the next morning...


For 3 hours of low and slow smoking...


Turn over about half way as well as remove the smoked onion and tomatoes for my smoked tomato mayo...


Now that the smoking is done...


Place in the steamer for another 3 hours...


Then slice and serve on toasted Jewish Rye with whole grain mustard and Swiss...


Not bad if I say so myself...

Comments