Final Call @ Vino


Well, that time has come and gone. The closing of Vino (and Hiroshi) with the final hurrah last Thursday evening. I'm still in shock. Great wines and wine education from the Master himself, superlative service from the days of Kepono, Sefo, Bronson and Michelle to the current crew of Michael Ryan, Big Nate, Heather, Anne, Little Nate, great food from Chef Keith and Chef John, perfectly shaken Negronis from Brent and Jacob. Located right over the Pali with loads of free parking. All in a comfortable, homey setting where I was comfortable enough to don my chapeau all night long, not just at the bar. The Mrs and I start with a final glass of Prosecco... then the bottles start uncorking including a Champalou Vouvray...


Along with a 2000 Arnaud Ente Mersault...


Then I let my magnum of 1997 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Riserva air...


I may be smilin' on the outside but I was really cryin' on the inside...


Our final plate of the Calamari with Balsamico pepperoncini aioli...


And Burrata...


The K's uncork a huge double magnum of 2007 Oakville Winegrowers Cabernet Sauvignon...


Also some 2009 Grange des Peres Blanc...


2005 Bernard Moreau Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chevenottes...


And some Alfred Gratien Brut...


For the Mrs' last plate of Dungeness Crab "Ala Chittara"...


And my Special Pizza...


Heck, even Doomo is struck with emotion right into her plate of Karen's Pasta...


We also uncork a bevy of reds including a 1999 Showket Cabernet Sauvignon...


A 2012 Peter Michael Ma Danseuse Pinot Noir...


A 1996 Castello dei Rampolla Sammarco...


A 2009 Beaux Freres Pinot Noir...


A 2004 Chateau Beychevelle...


A 1982 Chateau Brane-Cantenac...


And even Micheal Ryan sends some wine our way including a 2008 Hospices de Beaune 1er Cru Cuvee Maurice Drouhin from Joseph Drouhin...


And a 2002 Ojai Roll Ranch Vineyard Syrah...


I even uncork a bottle of 2003 Noel Verset Cornas that I "have" to share with both Chuck and Cheryle... and this time Chuck didn't turn it down...


And just as dinner service was winding down, Chef Keith cooked 4 hamburgers topped with seared foie gras (the Mrs previously asked Chef if he was willing to make the foie gras burgers if she purchased the ground beef and brioche buns and he agreed). Monsieur K thoroughly enjoyed his burger while the Mrs simply cut a slice from hers and gave the rest to the staff - Chuck almost had a whole burger but told Cheryle she had to take a bite. They all later dropped by the table to say how delicious the burger was...



A final toast our Vino hosts...


The wines were great along with the food and the company is always excellent... but I'll admit that I had that bittersweet taste in my mouth all evening long...

Comments