Okinawan Soba


I first sampled Okinawan soba at Hiroshi Eurasion Tapas - it was a special that Chef John Iha created with the soba sitting in a spiced clam broth and topped with roasted salmon, deep fried salmon skin and ikura. After I first sampled his creation, I ordered it whenever it was available whether we were on the Hiroshi side or the Vino side. If you've never tried Okinawan soba, it's nothing like the traditional soba that you use for soba salad. It's a lot thicker - like udon - and has a "toothier" chew than other Asian noodles kind of like the traditional al dente pasta...

Low and behold, the Okinawan soba is made by Sun Noodle and available at Marukai...


So while at Marukai, I also picked up a tray of salmon belly


First open 2 cans of chopped clams with the broth...


Then add a heaping tablespoonful of this Dried Asian Mirepoix mix I found on sale at Williams-Sonoma... basically a blend of dried negi, ginger and garlic that I let simmer for a couple of minutes...


Meanwhile cut the salmon belly into bite sized pieces and "marinate" in furikake...

Then deep fry in canola oil until the skin starts to crisp...

Add the Okinawan soba to the clam broth mixture and toss...

And you have the Gochiso Gourmet's version of Chef Iha's Okinawan Soba "Mazeman"...


Enjoyed with Dewanoyuki "Kochu no Ten" Daiginjo sake...


And a Miyasaka Yawaraka "Masumi Cuvee Speciale" Junmai sake... I love my Daiginjo sake but this was one of the better Junmai sake I've sampled this year...


In retrospect, though the soba is fully cooked, I should have quickly dipped them in hot or boiling water to soften them a bit because they really soaked up that clam broth to the point of almost scorching my pan...

Comments