Ono Steaks & Shrimp Shack








Since I already was in 'Nalo for our clinic's Organizational Day at Bellows AFS and considering that traffic both in and out of Nalo is trying at the very least EVERY DAY, ANYTIME OF DAY, I decided to hang a left before returning to K-Town to sample a coupla' plates at the Ono Steaks and Shrimp Shack.

I mean, after multiple photos of their various plate lunches, I knew I had to sample the Smoke Meat and Onion plate...






Along with the Roast Pork with brown gravy...






Okay, the photos don't do it justice as it did take me almost 40 minutes to return home before I snapped these photos so by this time, the brown gravy simply seeped down into the rice instead of glistened on that glorious pork...



The smoke meat was as advertised and more, nice smoke from kiawe with a shoyu based marinade but not salty at all - sometimes local smoke meat can be quite salty - with fat that melted in the mouth. The roast pork was no slouch either as it was very tender with a hearty and rich brown gravy... the only negative, the rice was a little "katai" especially under the smoke meat. Because this place is busy throughout the day, you know it wasn't day old rice so they just need to soak it a little longer and/or add a little more cooking water... but the next time I'm in Nalo, I'll make a return visit...

Comments