Birthday Dinner @ Vino



Our good friends S and P from Richmond, CA are on their annual Hawaii vacation so we decided to meet at Vino this past Saturday. I initially tried the newly opened Piggy Smalls but they're still only taking walk-ins and I needed a table for eight so a reservation is necessary. But since their last visit to Vino was at the old location across the breezeway, it wasn't really a repeat visit for them.


As usual, we started with a bottle of bubbly, in this case P's 1999 Bollinger Grande Annee... 007's favorite...



I also uncorked my magnum of 1989 Chateau Gruaud Larose... after the initial funk blew off, it showed a nice balance of green tobacco, some dried herbs, earth and dried red fruit and I think it's still at the end of its plateau...


We also "had" to reserve the eight remaining Ravioli al Uovo with shaved Perigord truffles...


Along with a special, Ok Farms Egg Custard with Perigord truffles served in the shell...


And the Crispy Yukon Gold Potato "Hash" with cumin sour cream...


I selected the House Made Mortadella pizza as my main...

Along with several other courses (no photos, I was busy sippin' vino) including the Tako with Bean Ragu, Fried Branzino Bolognese and others including more vino...


A 2008 Grgich Hills Yountville Selection Cabernet Sauvignon (since P is now back at Grgich Hills)...


And a 1999 Daniel Ginsburg Cuvee Prestige Louis XVII...


Then the birthday boy got his "cake"...

Another great meal breaking bread (and many bottles) with our extended Bay Area familia which is always a blast...

Comments