A Hui Hou Kaeru Kid



I just received notification this afternoon that a fellow columnist for the Nichi Bei Weekly had passed on. Though I've been contributing monthly columns for the Nichi Bei Times then later the Nichi Bei Weekly for the past 14 years, there are other writers who also have been faithfully talking to all of you in readership land.

The Kaeru Kid wrote about his many travels and how to obtain the best deals in his adopted home of Las Vegas and like me, started his writing with the original Nichi Bei Times then transitioned to the reincorporation as the Nichi Bei Weekly.

Several years ago, I received an e-mail with the name "Wally Onchu" though the actual e-mail address tipped me off (kaerukid@yahoo.com) that this must be my fellow columnist. Since I reside in the 50th and most of my fellow columnists live Stateside, I don't really get to meet many of them short of a miniature picture you might find on the internet. But Glenn Nakadate stated that he would be passing through the 50th and asked if we could meet at some point.

It was a workday (when I rarely go out) but I met Glenn at an old local watering hole, Ryan's Grill. My first choice would have been the original Side Street Inn but parking is always a nightmare at the original location so we settled on my 2nd choice. We chatted about travel, food, life and everything else over a couple of beers and several pupus. And i found out that Wally Onchu was the name of his dog. And for those couple of hours, it was refreshing to simply chat with a fellow columnist whose passion for travel was as great as my passion for food and wine...

So though we only met on that one occasion, I hope you rest in peace my friend, Glenn Nakadate...

Comments