High Tech Smokin’



After experimenting over the past several years with the multiple smokers I’ve accumulated, I’ve realized that each device has its own pros and cons. For instance only one of the three smokers can accommodate a full cut of beef brisket and that only one device doesn’t need a fan to circulate the heated air. And most importantly, all three devices require constant monitoring to either refresh it with a new batch of charcoal or wood or to simply rotate the food for balanced cooking. I actually removed the fans from an old desktop computer (one computer had four internal fans) and contemplated cutting holes in my current smokers and installing the fans so I could achieve even heat circulation. Though I’ll probably destroy the smoker in the process of being a DIY broke-can-ic.



Then I got on the internet started looking at those electric smokers that used wood pellets to produce smoke and could be controlled to 25 degrees of the desired temperature. Simply set the temperature and occasionally refill the hopper with additional wood pellets as a fan rotates the smoke throughout the cooking chamber almost like a convection oven. But there’s a problem in the 50th as with most large appliances, most mail order firms don’t ship to the 50th at all even if you’re willing to pony up that ransom also known as the shipping cost. So I checked several local home improvement big box stores to see what they stocked. The most common model was the innovator, Traeger which was stocked at a couple of local stores. And I almost pulled the trigger to purchase a Traeger smoker that would fit a whole beef brisket in the smoking chamber. But thankfully, I first also did an internet search to see which model had the best reviews. And though Traeger did maintain a pretty constant smoking temperature, it along with several other brands required you to occasionally remove the cooking grid, drainage pan and heat shield to vacuum the residual ash that formed during the smoking process. For starters, that would require me to also purchase a shop vacuum as I’m pretty sure the Mrs wouldn’t want me to vacuum greasy, cooking ash with the Dyson. Then I found the Camp Chef model which had a convenient cup that could easily be removed to dispose of the ash. Of course, no local vendor sold Camp Chef in the 50th and when I attempted to add them to my cart online with the local home improvement stores, I got the “can’t ship to AK, HI, Guam, Puerto Rico or Virgin Islands” warning. That is until I attempted to place every model sold into my online cart. Low and behold, there was one model that simply didn’t ship to Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. And this model also had a stainless steel cover AND a side propane burner for searing your food. So I added it to my cart – no shipping warning. Added my shipping address – still no shipping warning. Then included the Mrs credit card info (it was my birthday gift from the Mrs) – again no shipping warning. Then actually placed the order – ORDER CONFIRMATION! Of course the pessimist in me fully expected to get an e-mail later stating that it was an oversight and that they actually couldn’t ship to Hawaii. Nope, the only e-mail I received was the order confirmation along with the expected arrival date. YIPEE KA-YEH!



And it actually arrived a week earlier than planned and in excellent condition and after spending about 30 minutes of minor assembly time, I got right to seasoning the smoker (1 hour at 350 degrees with no food to burn off any residual oil) then attempted my hand at several larges proteins including our Thanksgiving turkey, pork sirloin roast (the same roast used in my Cubano sandwich), meatloaf, chickens and a whole beef brisket.
The biggest difference in using an electric pellet smoker other than not having to check the temperature and rotate the food every hour or so is that the proteins don’t get as smoky black (a good thing) since the temperature can be set lower and it doesn’t have as much of a smoky flavor (also a good thing since smoke should just be another flavor element and not the dominant characteristic). The 14 pound turkey was perfect after about 3 hours as was the pork sirloin roast and dare I say the beef brisket was as tender as the beef brisket I mail ordered from Big Bob Gibson’s Barbecue over the internet. The meatloaf wasn’t as smoke flavored as usual but it’s the only item that could have used a more pronounced smoke flavor and the chickens could have either used a slightly higher temperature (I smoked them at 225 degrees) or slightly longer smoking time (2 & 1/2 hours).



But smoking shouldn’t be limited to just animal proteins as there’s a vast array of foods that will benefit from that kiss of smoke. Smoked vegetables have an unlimited range of uses. I frequently smoke Roma tomatoes which I use for pizza sauce, pasta sauce or simply chop and added to braising liquids for beef, pork and poultry. I simply slice the tomatoes lengthwise and place them cut side up and smoke for an hour or so. Once they take on that mahogany sheen, they’re ready to seed and the peels slide right off the flesh. The same applications can be used with onions and garlic and since I first sampled that lightly smoked daikon at Vintage Cave’s sushi bar, I’ve smoked takuan, shoga and rakkyo that I’ve used in place of dill pickles in sandwiches or minced in my food processor with mayonnaise to make a Japanese style dip or sandwich spread.



Aren’t Smoked Foods Carcinogenic?

Both smoking and charring can leave foods with benzo(a)pyrenes on the surface on the food which is considered a probable carcinogen in the US. While benzo(a)pyrene is actually only a pro-carcinogen, needing further metabolism (three additional oxidative chemical reactions) to benzo(a)pyrene diol epoxide, the final compound can start binding within your DNA causing mutations within the DNA leading to possible cancer formation. One solution, simply consume smoked foods in moderation like cured meats (the nitrosamines formed when cooking cured meats also is listed as a probable carcinogen), alcohol (alcohol raises the risk for certain cancers) or saturated fats (while not a probable carcinogen, they do raise LDL cholesterol which increases stroke and heart attack risk). I take it a step further by consuming my smoked proteins with coleslaw. Why coleslaw? Cabbage is rich in glucosinolates which form isothiocyanates and are associated with lower rates of certain cancers and the anthocyanins in red cabbage are natural antioxidants that possibly may interfere with those oxidative reactions that produce benzo(a)pyrene diol epoxide. Though the main bonus of consuming coleslaw with your smoked proteins is that it’s mighty tasty and the perfect accompaniment to BBQ! The vinegar in coleslaw cleanses your palate of those rich, fatty goodness in barbecue refreshing it for another bite!




If you do want to combine both your protein and vegetables in one smoked dish, how about trying my Asian take on that classic Middle-Eastern chickpea-based spread hummus? However, my version uses smoked natto along with azuki beans along with pickled shoga, pickled garlic and shiso. The slight smokiness mimics the smoky flavors found in that other classic Middle-Eastern spread based on eggplant, baba ghanoush and I replaced the usual tahini or sesame paste simply with sesame oil. If you’re using the imported triple packets of frozen natto, just add the seasoning packets for extra flavor. And for the first time, I’m also including this recipe simultaneously in my February column for the Nichi Bei Weekly.



Natto-mus

One 3oz tub of Aloha Tofu natto (for readers in the 50th) or imported frozen natto (for readers in the Bay Area), spread on a wire strainer and smoked for 45 minutes
1 cup dried azuki beans, soaked overnight then simmered for 1 hour
7 pickled garlic bulbs
2 tbsp gari (light pink, pickled, thinly sliced ginger served with sushi)
1 tbsp beni shoga (dark pink strips of pickled ginger) smoked for 30 minutes
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp shoyu
1 tbsp Shiso Fumi furikake

Rice crackers
Garnishes: sliced pickled ginger, beni shoga, finely sliced fresh shiso leaves

Place garlic and gingers in a food processor and run until they are finely minced. Add the azuki and natto and run until it forms a creamy paste. Finally add the sesame oil, shoyu and shiso furikake until well incorporated. You can either add more shoyu or shiso furikake if it requires more salt. Serve on the rice crackers garnished with beni shoga, sliced pickled garlic or fresh shiso.

Comments