A Sign of Fall or Just a Waikiki Tourist?



It’s that time of year when that large, edible orange orb makes its appearance. It usually starts out in October as that seasonal decoration with the traditional grin of someone who hasn’t seen a dentist in quite a while but in November morphs into that traditional edible pie filling. Yup, the pumpkin or bobura. Strangely enough, in the 50th, bobura isn’t the name of fruits in the squash family but more commonly refer to Japanese tourists. Which for some reason, I often get mistaken for while in Waikiki or even Ala Moana Shopping Center? When entering stores, I often get the “ohayo gozaimasu…”. I know I have a pasty, white complexion but really? But getting back to the real bobura



The Early Experience

Growing up in the 50th, my only exposure to pumpkins were at Thanksgiving primarily as pumpkin pie. Our family never purchased pumpkins for carving during Halloween I assume because it involved a hard fleshed, round fruit (since pumpkins are simply ovaries containing seeds, they botanically are classified as fruits) and a sharp instrument to carve said fruit. Which more than likely would have resulted in severe finger and hand lacerations for yours truly. It also probably had to do with the tropical climate and freshly cut fruit left at a balmy and humid 90-degree ambient temperature. Dad once brought home a fully carved Jack-o-Lantern which promptly was reduced to a pile of pumpkin mush in 2 days. So, Halloween only involved candy.
But because the Thanksgiving pumpkin pies were primarily purchased and probably made with canned pumpkin and because I’ve never really had a sweet tooth, I hardly indulged after dinner selecting alternate desserts on the table.

Pumpkin Nutrition

The fruit of Cucurbita pepo is a great source of Vitamin A with a cup containing almost 2 & ½ times your Reference Daily Intake (RDI)! It’s also a good source of Vitamin C, potassium, manganese, copper, riboflavin and Vitamin E and a cup also contains about 3gm of dietary fiber. And as the commercial goes; “it can be sautéed, mashed or pickled, fresh or roasted… you can even eat the seeds”. And roasted pumpkin seeds or pepita are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids.



Then Liquid Pumpkin

Though I primarily select wine as my preferred adult beverage, I occasionally will consume the product of fermented barley and hops and usually reach for a darker brew like a porter or steam beer. That is until I sampled a pumpkin ale. The slight sweetness from pumpkin balanced the bitterness from the hops rounded by the malty qualities of the ale. It was a perfect quencher with or without food and I now specifically look for a pumpkin ale when I’m in the mood for beer.
And brewed pumpkin isn’t the only liquid variation of the gourd. I once sampled a pumpkin soup where the chef smoked a whole baby pumpkin then hollowed the outer shell to function as a serving bowl and pureed the inner flesh with bacon and onions. This rich pumpkin soup, almost a bisque had a light smoked flavor rounded by the smokiness of the bacon and was perfect with a glass of Chardonnay from Oregon. Yes, I plan on trying to re-create this in one of my many smoking vessels.



Baked Pumpkin

No, I’m not speaking of the filling in a pie crust at Thanksgiving. I’m talking about using the pureed flesh of pumpkin as the main flavor ingredient in that Southern specialty, biscuits. We once had leftover kabocha that was used for some other culinary application. I simply microwaved the unused portion to soften it a little more then mashed it to a smooth paste. This paste was incorporated into the basic buttermilk biscuit dough with a touch of pumpkin pie spice and the resulting biscuits were the perfect “buns” for thinly sliced ham and honey mustard!
I‘ve also used pureed pumpkin in one of my many variations of a slightly healthier pound cake that I either bake in a Bundt pan or as muffins. Additions such as toasted pecans, cinnamon chips or walnuts can be added and spices such as pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, clove or even star anise perk up the flavors while glazes incorporating maple syrup, buttermilk or candied ginger add complementary flavors.




Savory Applications

I first sampled pumpkin chili after Williams-Sonoma discounted their seasonal foods at the end of the year. A bottle of dried seasoning for Instant Pot simply required water, ground beef and 1 can of diced tomatoes then pressure cooked for about 20 minutes. The finished pumpkin chili was delicious but as a pre-prepped mixture, one pot of this pumpkin chili had almost 3 tablespoons of salt in the blend. So, I then decided to create my own using meat substitute and low-salt canned goods.



Pumpkin Chili

1 cup meat substitute
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp oregano
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 (7 oz) can diced green chiles
2 Bay Leaves
1 can vegetable stock
2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, or pinto beans, rinsed & drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
2 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 (6 oz) can Tomato Paste
Salt and black pepper to taste
Water

Sauté chopped onions and garlic in a little olive oil. Add spice to toast (but don’t burn). Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil then lower the temperature to simmer. Simmer for about 1 hour adding more water if it gets too thick.
And since everyone in the 50th has a bowl of chili with rice and macaroni salad, I serve the pumpkin chili with my garlic fried rice with kale, carrots and edamame along with my vegan macaroni salad. But those recipes are for another column…

Comments