Summer Downtime

Now that we’re about midway through the year, it’s been an eventful first half of the year to say the least. Starting with those raging wildfires Down Under then a global pandemic and now with ongoing social issues that never really resolved during the 60’s and have only heightened with recent transgressions against people of color by law enforcement… If you closely follow what’s goin’ on to quote Marvin Gay, it can place a heavy emotional toll on your heart.

So how do we balance reality and sanity? Normally we might socialize with close friends over a nice meal and perhaps a bottle of wine but the ongoing pandemic including spikes in COVID cases due to the gradual re-opening of society nixes those plans. So, the other half and I have a little understanding. While consuming our evening meal, we watch light-hearted food centric shows, i.e., the Cooking Channel or the Food Network. I then adjourn to the computer so she can watch CNN to her hearts content while I view my personal replacement for Tony Bourdain’s Parts Unknown series on YouTube, What’s Cookin’.

What’s Cookin’

I probably stumbled onto this 39-episode series on YouTube probably while looking for full episodes of A Chef’s Tour, No Reservations and Parts Unknown after the pre-mature death of Tony Bourdain. His shows were a regular part of our Sunday evenings every weekend and we were lost between series as the Food Network and CNN often didn’t fill the void between each series with reruns of previous episodes. So, I found a new visual repast on YouTube.

The series focuses on various families in Europe creating regional food favorites including procuring or raising the necessary ingredients and since most out-of-state travel can either start with a 14 day quarantine upon arrival and/or another 14 day quarantine upon return, a virtual visit via YouTube is a better option and these virtual visits focus on my favorite pastime, food.

Of course, I also unwind by viewing old episodes of Tony Bourdain’s shows also on YouTube and the great thing about YouTube videos are that you can always fast forward through any commercials.

Variations on a Gin Tonic

I’ll often sip a cocktail during these excursions on YouTube and several years ago, I thought I sampled the pinnacle of the perfect marriage of that juniper infused libation or gin combined with that cinchona bark infused sparkling water or tonic water when I mixed one part of the blue tinged Magellan or floral Nolet gin with 2 & ½ parts of Q Tonic water. Herbal, slightly bitter and very refreshing especially when the mercury starts approaching triple digits. Then while having lunch at Bottega in Yountville, I sampled Chef Chiarello’s Italian gin and tonic served in a balloon glass usually reserved for Pinot Noir with limoncello, fresh grapes and a sprig of fresh rosemary. Wow! Who knew that a gussied gin and tonic could be just as good… if not better?

So, I started creating my own gussied versions of the standard gin and tonic with the Negroni and tonic. If you’ve read this column before, you know one of my favorite libations is the Negroni which combines equal parts of gin, Campari and vermouth. Of course, this concoction is “all thrilla, no filla” as all three parts contain alcohol and sometimes you want something less alcoholic so I simply use equal parts Negroni and tonic water cutting the alcohol in half and when served on the rocks, further dilutes the cocktail so you don’t end up with a lampshade on your head…

I also relax with Ms. S’s favorite cocktail, an Aperol Spritz which is a simple cocktail that includes Aperol (or Campari’s less alcoholic, less bitter and sweeter sibling) and Prosecco then topped with sparkling water. Served in a large balloon glass on the rocks and garnished with a slice of orange, it is perfect for those warm evenings (or even great as a brunch beverage). However, unlike Ms. S, I might also include a splash of Campari or gin and a couple of dashes of orange bitters.

Variations of a French 75

This classic marriage of gin, lemon juice, sugar and Champagne created a century ago in New York and supposedly named as such because it hit you like a French 75mm cannon, combines two of my favorite adult beverages, Champagne and gin. I’ve also sampled variations of the classic including the Fete 75, named after one of our favorite restaurants here in the 50th and their version combines gin, lemon juice and elderflower liqueur topped with Prosecco instead of Champagne. Either way, both are refreshing libations to temporarily relieve you of the problems in the world.

I also still partake in my local riff on the French 75, my Hawaii 2.5 which replaces the gin for a litchi infused vodka, litchi and ginger liqueurs and a sparkling Rose - I use Maui Wine Lokelani Rose to keep it local but you can use any sparkling Rose.

Summertime Grub

Finally, those libations pair perfectly with light, summertime salads. One of my favorite salad is the Panzanella or bread salad. For starters, it’s a great way to use leftover bread, specifically stale baguettes as the dried bread soaks up the flavorful vinaigrette that also flavors the grilled veggies. Simply slice your favorite assortment of fresh vegetables – I like the quarter zucchini lengthwise, slice thick rings of red onions and thick slices red, green and orange bell peppers and skewer mushrooms, toss them in your favorite oil and vinegar salad dressing then place them on a hot grill until they’re charred but not fully cooked then dice them into bite sized pieces. Bite sized pieces of your stale bread are placed in the bottom of a large mixing bowl then topped with the grilled veggies then cover with Saran wrap. As the grilled veggies release their steam and fluids, it softens the bread. Additional vinaigrette can be added once the Panzanella cools though I usually also toss it with drained capers, sliced cured olives and fresh herbs. You can also add grilled chicken to the mix for a complete meal and the Panzanella is great at room temperature or chilled the next day.

I also enjoy my chilled lentil salad for those warm summer months – I will admit that I got the idea from the UC Medical Center’s cafeteria over 30 years ago. Their version contained cooked lentils, carrots and fresh herbs tossed in a vinaigrette. I’ve been making my version just as long and because lentils are a good source of protein (as well as fiber and vitamins), no additional animal protein is required.


Lentil Salad

1 lb. dried lentils (lentil du puy holds shape better than brown lentils)

1 small red onion, cut into 6-8 wedges then finely sliced

2 carrots, peeled & julienned (I use a “Japanese” mandolin with large julienne attachment)

Green onion, thinly sliced, about ½ cup (about ½ bunch)

Fresh mint, chopped, about 2/3 cup (all the leaves in an average bunch)

¼ c red wine vinegar (I use half balsamic, half red wine vinegar)

Salt & fresh cracked black pepper to taste

¾ c extra virgin olive oil (I usually add 2-3 tbsp of flavored olive oil)

Boil lentils for about 20 minutes (if I have dried mint, I fill a tea infuser and boil with the lentils). Drain and rinse. Mix cooked lentils with vegetables and herbs. Wisk together next three ingredients then pour over lentil mixture (can add the vinaigrette of your choice as the dressing).

I usually use a garlic infused olive oil, but cilantro or red pepper oils are also good. Can add chopped red peppers if you use a red pepper oil.

So if the current world events seem to be draggin’ you down and you just need a break, watch something light-hearted and simple, enjoy a cocktail with a simple, summertime meal and escape if just for an hour or two…

Comments