A Simple Bowl of Rice

We don’t consume rice like we used to and it’s not because we’re into the whole low-carb diet which neither of us subscribes to. It’s simply because I tend to overeat when rice is the starch. And because I overeat, I don’t get to prepare one of my favorite dishes with the leftover rice, fried rice. I can limit my portions if the starch is pasta, bread or potatoes… okay, maybe not thinly sliced fried potatoes but potato chips usually aren’t on the dinner menu. So, combined with over consuming freshly cooked rice and not having ample time to prep the rice for fried rice – I feel a good fried rice needs leftover rice to be refrigerated for two days – we hardly make fried rice at home anymore. Variants on a Favorite Many, many years ago while still an undergraduate, my main source of fried rice was from the neighborhood Chinese restaurant. And on one occasion while still employed by the East-West Center as a student in the print shop, we ordered take-out for lunch. While I normally purchased my lunchtime meals from the multiple vending machines scattered throughout the University of Hawaii, I decided to order a carton of fried rice for lunch. It was your basic restaurant fried rice with bits char siu, green onion and scrambled egg but it tasted so good that I consumed the whole take-out container. Other than the severe thirst I developed about 30 minutes after lunch, I also developed nervous system effects as jittery vision just at the periphery of my vision. And when anyone spoke, they seemed to be speaking a lot faster than they actually were. Both of which can be attributed to glutamic acid or monosodium glutamate as MSG tempers the salty qualities on the palate while also making food seem savory (umami) so while the fried rice didn’t seem overly salty, I probably got quite a large sodium dose leading to my pronounced thirst. And because glutamic acid is a neurotransmitter, experienced those nervous system effects. So, I now prepare my own fried rice so I know exactly what goes into the dish. One of the simplest versions, you’ll find is garlic fried rice which usually is served as a side in Filipino restaurants. The local I Love Country Café and Adela’s Country Eatery serves a simple garlic fried rice (as well as a great pork or chicken adobo fried rice) served with their lechon asado (crispy pork belly). However, whenever I recreate the garlic fried rice in my own kitchen, I emulate the version created by Chef Wade Ueoka of MW Restaurant who adds diced kale, grated carrots and edamame adding both color and flavor with the additions.
About 4 cups of cooked rice 5 cloves of minced garlic Cooking oil (I use garlic infused macadamia nut oil from Oils of Aloha) 2 to 3 cups roughly chopped kale ½ cup shredded carrots ½ cup shelled edamame 2 tsp shoyu Black pepper and garlic salt to taste Sauté the minced garlic in oil just until the garlic starts to lightly brown then add the kale, carrots and edamame. Once the kale wilts and carrots soften after 3 to 5 minutes, add the cooked rice and toss and break up the clumps of rice then add the shoyu, black pepper and garlic salt and mix until uniformly coated. https://oilsofaloha.com/ There’s also another local variant of fried rice that I’ve been preparing for years but unlike Japanese style fried rice, it uses long grain rice (which doesn’t need any refrigerator time to dry). Peggy Kaiulani Cowell has a spice line (all are available through mail order) including her Exotic Curry to create an East Indian inspired fried rice. Because there’s minimal ingredients, all you need is day old long grain rice – because long grain rice isn’t sticky, I’ve also made this fried rice with rice cooked on the same day. And for those just discovering the flavor sensations of fresh cilantro, the stems provide a greater cilantro “punch” than the leaves so you should always add the stems instead of simply using the leaves.
Kaiulani’s Curried Fried Rice 1/4 cup olive oil 2 & 1/2 tbsp (or to taste) Kaiulani's Exotic Curry 1 tbsp garlic, minced 1-2 tbsp cilantro - leaves and stems, chopped but separated 4 cups long grain rice 3 tbsp dried cranberries 1/4 cup green onion stalks- slice small Heat olive oil in pan on low. When the oil is heated, add Kaiulani's Exotic Curry, stirring constantly until the Hawaiian salt in the curry is dissolved. Then increase to medium high heat and add garlic, cilantro stems and cranberries, and cook until the garlic is done. Add the rice and mix everything together thoroughly until rice is completely yellow. Add green onions and cilantro leaves to the rice and mix again. Taste rice and adjust seasoning. https://kaispices.com/ The Bomb Musubi I’ve enjoyed musubi from an okazuya that’s been feeding K-Town masses for years located right in my neighborhood but it’s not your usual musubi. It’s a musubi created from fried rice! How does fried rice remain solid enough to consume with one hand? My guess is that the fried rice is created with freshly cooked rice or perhaps Masa & Joyce Okazuya also uses some glutinous sweet rice to keep the musubi from falling apart. So, of course I had to try and recreate it in my kitchen… Instead of frying your protein and veggies then adding the cooked rice, I simply incorporate the cooked proteins and veggies into the freshly cooked rice then form them like traditional musubi.
1 cup each of short grain rice and sweet mochi rice, rinsed, soaked and cooked as usual 1 cup of any diced protein, my favorite is either chopped teriyaki or char siu chicken ½ cup of any mixed diced vegetables, my usual is diced onion, green onion and minced celery or carrots 1 & ½ tsp shoyu 1 tbsp oyster sauce ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder Sheets of toasted nori Normally, I add almost as much filler (protein and veggies) as rice when I make a “standard” fried rice but since this fried rice will be shaped into musubi and the rice is what holds it together, I cut back on the filler. The Refrigerator Spring Cleaning The beauty of fried rice is there isn’t one specific recipe or ingredient other than rice that’s necessary so it’s a great way to do a weekly “spring cleaning” of your meat and produce bins as literally anything can be used based on your taste preferences. I’ve literally used any leftover produce in my bin and most proteins from chopped salami to kamaboko and everything in between. About the only produce I haven’t experimented yet are fruits… but then again, some minced, roasted poultry or pork with diced stone fruit tossed with a touch of savory spices and brown rice… sounds like a great dressing on its own… perhaps a future column…

Comments