This & That

This past weekend we were invited to a friend's annual Halloween shindig... the only catch (every year) is that you have to dress for the spirit of the party to enter. Ms S dressed as Sally from the Nightmare Before Christmas sans wig and white face make-up - I reminded her that face make-up is just as hot as your skin can't breathe and it's been quite muggy in the 50th. I finally donned my lederhosen that I purchased from Amazon years ago when I intended on attending an Ocktoberfest well before COVID... The cover photo is M's seafood dynamite she prepared - she said she got the recipe via YouTube and it's the first "dynamite" recipe we've sampled that didn't include mayonnaise... perfectly cooked tako, scallops and squid but also included iriko, those small semi-dried Japanese sardine-like fish... should have asked M for the recipe as I can't find it on YouTube...
We brought sous vide chicken breast made with the ANOVA sous vide oven... yes, oven not waterbath. Cooked at 100% humidity at 145 degrees for 150 minutes. The oven keeps the temperature +/- within about 2 degrees so the breasts are as tender and succulent if you placed them under vacuum in a water bath...
We also brought a pasta dish, a Chicken Satay Pasta with Barilla Protein + Angel Hair in s auce that included coconut milk, peanut butter, shoyu, fish sauce, lemongrass, ginger and lime juice. I also added chicken marinated in a local product, a lemongrass and ginger marinade...
Our hostess requested a Blood Orange Negroni so I created that libation with equal parts of blood orange juice, London dry gin, Punt e Mes (sweet vermouth) and Meletti 1870 bitter (my substitute for Campari)...
I also carted a Negorni Verde made with London dry gin, Luxardo bitter bianco, white vermouth as well as those difficult to find liqueur, Green Chartreuse and Midori. I'm not sure if the Chartreuse involved supply chain issies as the Carthusian monks who create it aren't interested in maximum profits, it's just to fund their monastery. And i hear that Midori is/was in short supply due to bottle issues... I also brought a dessert libation, a Chocolate Strawberry Negroni with strawberry infused Campari, chocolate liqueur and sweet vermouth (no photo though)... I love K's get-togethers as it means we're getting to life as normal as possible...

Comments