This and That

Since Oshogatsu is just two weeks away, I started making our O-toso or medicinal sake to sip just as the New Year starts (to prevent illness in the New Year). I used to have these teabags containing the O-toso herbs that I purchased years ago from Marukai and kept them in the freezer. Two years ago I used the last teabag so I had to create my own for Oshogatsu last year. Basically the main flavor component is sansho pepper but it also contains dried ginger, ginseng, cinnamon, tangerine peel and cumin so now I purchase a bottle of off dry sake and infuse it for the 3 weeks leading up to New Years - I strain it before refrigerating my conconction.
Also stopped by the new Nijiya store at Ala Moana - it used to be located just outside of the Ewa parking ramp but they moved into the old Shirokiya space. It's a lot smaller than I envisioned - the Puck's Alley location is a lot larger. Since I was already there, I purchased some nibbles for lunch including one of my favorites, negitoro which technically is the scraped fatty bits from maguro tuna but I think this was simply chopped ahi tuna...
I also got their Hokkai Chirashi with sushi rice topped with raw scallop, salmon, real crab and ikura or seasoned salmon eggs. It was on special and Ms S agreed it was a good deal since the seafood was very fresh...
Of course, good Japanese food requires a good sake so I opened a bottle of Hakutsuru Ukiyo-E Daiginjo that I purchased at Costco for $19.99 - pretty good for a sub $20 sake...
Thenlater in the week, Ms S made an Endive and Radicchio Salad from a recipe by the Food Network Tournament of Champions Season 1 winner, Brooke Williamson - she has legitimate cred as she also was the runner up on Seasons 2 and 3. I love bitter greens so this salad hit the spot...
Especially with my version of a Negroni Vert from Bouchon Bistro in Yountville - I used one part each of Suze and Green Chartreuse and parts of Magellan gin...
Time to sample some of the Journeyman Meat Co salami we brought back from Healdsburg...
Likely with a glass of vino rosso...

Comments