First Meal of 2023

 


Our first meal of 2023 was the usual, a bowl of ozoni...



As well as kuromame - I pressure cook the beans for 90 minutes with sugar and a touch of shoyu...



As well as konbu maki... I'll fess up, I always purchase the pre-tied version from Marukai - there are 10 in a bag so I always cook four bags worth since I simmer them in hondashi, shoyu, sugar, awamori and ginger for about 2 hours...




The combo photo...



Also a photo of our kadomatsu and kagami mochi. Since I retired earlier in 2022, I downgraded the kadomatsu without the fancy basket which runs $95 to $145 at Marukai to the $55 version but the mochi is real mochi but as you might notice, the tangerine is plastic as I couldn't find nice frsh, tangerines with the leaves still attached...



Then once we got to Mom's house, Ms S sliced her hamachi, maguro and otoro sashimi - yes, we make the fish run at Marukai at 5am when they open on New Year's Eve...



As well as my leftover Tsar Nicolai caviar, chips and creme fraiche from the night before...



Well, I hope 2023 is better than than last year when several friends and family left us much too soon. Wishing health, happiness and peace of mind to you and yours in 2023. Shinnen Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu!

Comments