Ichi go Ichi e

For Christmas, Sis got me a Shaker & Spoon box from Cratejoy. Basically Cratejoy sells boxes from a variety of manufacturers or small vendors that can be purchased as a one-time deal or as 3, 6 or 12 month subscriptions. Shaker & Spoon is just one of the vendors and they specialize in cocktails - the box Sis got for me centered on spiced rum (so I had to purchase a bottle of Captain Morgan). There's usually 3 cocktail recipes with each making 4 drinks so for roughly $59, you end up with 12 drinks (after you purchase the actual booze). Because the January box focused on gin, I purchased another box.
The first cocktail I made from the "Ginspirations" box was the "Ichi go, Ichi e", the Japanese term for once in a lifetime. It basically means to live for the moment as once each moment passes, it can never be repeated. In other words, there is no "Groundhog Day"...
It was created by Christian "Suzu" Suzuki-Orellana with 1 & 1/2 ounces of gin (I used Bafferts, one of my faves), 1/2 ounce of Furusato (where the heart longs for) syrup and 4 dashes of salted nori extract.
The Ginspirations box included the salted nori extract (salt, glycerin and nori) and the Furusato syrup... if you want to create the Furusato syrup on your own, here are the ingredients...
Ms S liked the libation which had umami and a sweet-citrus note but it was alittle too alcohol forward for her tastes (75% alcohol, 25% mixer)...
Guess I'm a chronic since I was fine with the alcohol to mixer proportions... Next up is the "Worth Three in the Saddle" which isn't as alcohol forward...

Comments