Animal Sobriety

No, Ms S and I aren't vegan or even vegetarian but on occasion, we'll have meals devoid of animal products. About every 1 to 2 months, we'll make a trip to Kailua to visit R. Fields in Foodland, then move over to Whole Foods finally ending up at Down to Earth. Two previous lives ago when I worked at the Kaiser Permanente Kailua Clinic, the original Down to Earth Kailua location was right next to the clinic so I often would purchase a small portion from their salad bar for lunch - either the vegan coleslaw made with Veganaise instead of mayonnaise or the hijiki salad. Often I would stop by after work because Ms S loved their Black Bean and Beet Burger...
I usually would get one their falafel wraps - the Black Bean and Beet Burger is good but I'm not a big fan of alfalfa sprouts...
I like their side salads so much, I tried making my rendition of the hijiki salad...
I also tried making my own version of their coleslaw...
And I always make Lo Han Jai for Ms S for the Lunar New Year...
I recently also made a batch of Vegan Pumpkin Chili using the dried Beef Not! with textured vegetable protein...
So we do occasionally take a break from salmon, pork belly and chicken...

Comments